2 into 1 exhaust fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 into 1 exhaust fabrication

i've got a non suzuki i am thinking of trying to fab up some exhaust for..

i looked at the exhaust and the left pipe is cracked between the muffler and pipe, almost to the point of falling off.. i am guessing that is at least part of the problem with the vibration. now, i can just weld up the crack, and i'm sure that life would be fine, however, i thought about turning it into a 2 into 1.

my question is 3 fold..

1. anyone here try a home made 2 into 1? i've gotten a good look at a few different systems and it looks pretty straight foreward.. but what are the hidden issues i have yet to encounter?

2. preformance is not the goal, i just think it'd look cool with a 2 into 1 and possibly a different muffler: do you think i'll be looking at a rejet?

3. i know i'll have to fabricate up a new mount for the exhaust, however, do you think on the left or right would be ideal?

i guess some random last thoughts on it are heat issues, and opinions there, as well as possibilities for an aftermarket megaphone, or think i could just use the stock?

1) Not yet, but I have tinkered enough and planned out a 4-1 for my 1100E, so I am part way there. Should be no hidden issues really, the biggest tricks are getting the primary pipes equal length and then packaging it all to fit around the engine, frame, carbs, etc. Use 18ga carbon steel tubing, buy U-bends unless you have a mandrel bender handy and go to it.

2) The muffler restriction will play a much bigger part in re-jetting than the header. If you stay close to the original primary pipe length and diameter and stick with the same level of muffling, you should be fine. Wait, I just realized you may be going to 2-1 from a 2-2. In that case, you need more muffler volume to keep the same level of restriction. Probably look at 35-50% more volume than the original ones.

3) Can't say without pics of the bike. Typically, you stay away from whichever side the chain is on because there is more clearance on the other side.

Random thoughts:

- Heat should not be an issue any more than the original system, unless you run it close to the carb, shock or your body. You can always add a heat shield at a later date if it becomes necessary.

- Aftermarket or stock muffler would be your choice, just build to mate up to whatever you want to use.

Mark

Comment

wow awesome reply and fast too!

ok. i was not compeltly clear in the first pots, i have a 1 into 1 for a 2 cylinder engine that is cracked, i planned on welding additional pipe the the cracked pipe ( as well as bending it with a mandrel bender ) to mate up wih the right side pipe, i guess, since the chain is on the left side.

i am, ideally, looking to keep the stock muffler from the one side, possibly drilling out the baffeling a bit if it seems to be getting too much restriction.

i guess i just need to make extra sure about the clearance under the frame, and issues like keeping the centerstand and oil filter access.

sweet thanks for the info!

Comment

2 points

1 careful about the pipe length and the number of bends/degree of bend. the long the pipe, and more bends it has, the more restrictive it will be. also the tighter the bend, the higher the restriction.
        If you do not get the left and right head pipes to have equal restriction, then you could end up needing to jet each side differently.
        Making the pipes equip is made inherently difficult by the fact that one has further to go to reach the right hand side. to get around this, try making the head pipes symetrical, and have the joing under your oil pan (Leave enough clearence to get your filter cover off of course)

then you can snake out to the muffler.

2 good luck

BentRod

Comment

good to know, thanks, bent. my plan was to use the existing pipe from the left side with little to no extension, same for the right, remove a section the same size as the y insert and make the y a 50-70 degree on the recieving end depending on how much of a bend takes place to make the pipes meet. i was thinking something about like a 40 degree bend from the left pipe under the frame to meet.

based on what you say, though, it may be easier to do it like these ones are styled:

Comment

Working...
          X