Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newer coils any better than my '82 coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newer coils any better than my '82 coils?

Do newer coils put out any higher voltage to the plugs than the ones on my '82? Like newer Gixxer coils or something.

if you aren't happy with the spark try the coil relay mod before you worry about replacing the coils.

Comment

If you do replace coils, use ones with replaceable spark plug wires, and I second the coil relay mod.

Comment

I can't answer your question, but if Suzuki thought your bike needed more voltage, they would have put more voltage out of the ones you have. Are yours giving trouble??
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

You really need to check the ohm rating of your coils. Primary winding tested between O/W - W should be 3-5 ohm. Secondary or Plug Cap to Plug Cap should be 31,000 - 33,000 ohm (31-33 k ohm)

It's not unusual to have OEM coils reading 1-2 ohm on Primary and 10k or less on secondary. This causes problems that can easily be mistaken as a carburetor problem.

Good luck. If you do decide to replace your coils, go with the 3 ohm GREEN Dyna coils, not the mini's.

Don

Comment

coming from an automotive background and reading that dyna coils put out 30,000 volts doesnt seem like much compared to the Accel super coils I used to run in my cars.
            The stock plug caps are pretty sad looking, probably original, I went and bought NGK caps, way cheaper than nos if I could even get them.
            I will look into the relay mod after i get some other things up to par.
            Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X