oil leak from drain plug...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak from drain plug...

i think i damaged the oil pan when trying to place the oil plug in. i changed the oil, filter, generator gasket...When i went to put the drain plug in, i think it went in at an angle. i pulled it back out and a curly-cue piece of metal followed it out. is the oil pan gone for good? or can i get a new drain plug and use gasket sealer on the threads? i don't ride the bike very often...

1982 Suzuki GS1100EK

well, you have a few options..you could get a spark plug thread chaser and clean up the threads, use the 14mm side. you could also drop the pan, take it to a local shop and have them put an insert in, or you could try a helicoil or other thread repairing insert. with the third option, there are two schools of though, if it protrudes into the oil pan, you won't be draining all the sludge. some say yea some say neigh.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
      well, you have a few options..you could get a spark plug thread chaser and clean up the threads, use the 14mm side. you could also drop the pan, take it to a local shop and have them put an insert in, or you could try a helicoil or other thread repairing insert. with the third option, there are two schools of though, if it protrudes into the oil pan, you won't be draining all the sludge. some say yea some say neigh.
      Usually only horses are neighsayers:P

Comment

ha, funny.

take it to a shop and have them put an insert in. cant go wrong and its better than a heli-coil.

Comment

ug. ok. hopefully they can re-use the new 10-40 i just put in there and not waste it...

do i have to take the pan down or should i just ride the bike there?

also, a whole new oil pan is $83 from BikeBandit. won't the labor alone to do the insert cost more?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Try an oversized 14mm new plug first, what do you have to lose?

Drain you oil first, put grease on the new plug to catch any swarf (unless that's not recommended) & make sure you screw it in straight.

Remove it & flush it through with some oil after. Heard it works well for some.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Try a new crush washer.
              If you can get the plug to go in straight it should still seal.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the crush washer i have. how do i get the old one off? it's like fused on there.

if that doesn't work, i'll try the oversized plug. if THAT doesn't work, i'll have to get a new pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                  Usually only horses are neighsayers:P
                  I'm gonna keep that one.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Try an oversized 14mm new plug first, what do you have to lose?

Drain you oil first, put grease on the new plug to catch any swarf (unless that's not recommended) & make sure you screw it in straight.

Remove it & flush it through with some oil after. Heard it works well for some.

Dan
                    OK Dan, I admit it! I am 59 and learned a new word (swarf). I can't believe that I haven't used that word or heard it until now. I have spent most of my professional life in an engineering shop (electronics). Thanks Dan!

Gary

Comment

Working...
                    X