Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question

I am a new rider and have (with some help from the good people on this forum, and those friends of mine who ride) just returned a 1982 GS650 to running condition after it had been sitting for about 7 or 8 years. It seems however that the (new) battery becomes flat very easily, e.g. when a few attempts to start it have failed. I have read that the charging systems are not great on these bikes. Is there anything I can do to marginally improve the electrcical system or should I just get used to leaving my battery charger next to the bike and set to 6 volts?

slamtry

Why set it to 6 volts when you have a 12 volt battery?

The chargin systems are a little on the weak side but I would check all my connections and then check the voltage to the bbattery when the engine is running. Should be about 14 volts at least.

Comment

Re: Electrical question

If youre charging your bike with a charger set to 6 volts, there is your problem right there. Your bike has a 12 volt battery. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by slamtry
      I am a new rider and have (with some help from the good people on this forum, and those friends of mine who ride) just returned a 1982 GS650 to running condition after it had been sitting for about 7 or 8 years. It seems however that the (new) battery becomes flat very easily, e.g. when a few attempts to start it have failed. I have read that the charging systems are not great on these bikes. Is there anything I can do to marginally improve the electrcical system or should I just get used to leaving my battery charger next to the bike and set to 6 volts?

slamtry
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Sorry to be dim , but ho I go about checking the voltage to the battery when the bike is running?

Comment

Use a voltmeter or multimeter set to the 0-20 volt scale. Put the test leads on the battery terminals. If the bike is running, the reading will be charging voltage.

Earl

[quote="slamtry"]Sorry to be dim , but ho I go about checking the voltage to the battery when the bike is runn
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
          X