Ready to get cafinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready to get cafinated

I have decided what to do with my 80 Suzuki GS750L!
    I want to follow the footsteps of the 'Scud'
    I will post up pictures of the current condition of the bike as soon as I get them taken.
    It has been a toss up as to what direction I wanted to take with this bike (Chopper/Bobber-Stock-Cafe) and now
    I have acquired a 78 Suzuki GS750E and I believe I will be swapping out the wheels, rear axle, front forks and tank from the 78 and put them onto the 80.
    Does anyone know of any reason that this will not work??
    I prefer the looks of the spoked wheels and the boxed looking tank.
    Let me know what your experiences or recommendations are.
    Oh yeah, the 78 frame had been cut up to begin a chopper job, that is the reason for the swap instead of the buildup of the 78.(I knew someone was going to ask)
    Thanks for any help
    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2008, 12:33 AM. Reason: Adding picture

Get to it. Eagerly awaiting the pics.

Comment

The gas tanks won't fit with out some modding done to it.

Comment

Originally posted by n1elkyfan View Post
        The gas tanks won't fit with out some modding done to it.
        I think I read that you can relocate the stock location of the front tank mounts allowing the mounting of an E tank on an L frame
        I think the biggest challenge is going to be getting the time to dismantle the bike.
        I am trying to get my 75 CB750 running good so I can get started on this project.

Comment

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
          I think I read that you can relocate the stock location of the front tank mounts allowing the mounting of an E tank on an L frame
          I think the biggest challenge is going to be getting the time to dismantle the bike.
          I am trying to get my 75 CB750 running good so I can get started on this project.
          This is true, but only on LIKE model frames and tanks. The 78 tank you have WONT fit over the shoulders of your 80 frame without beating the tunnel in. Also, E forks will not work in L trees. The geometry is wrong. You will need to swap the entire tree and forks from your 78 to the 80.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            The 78 tank you have WONT fit over the shoulders of your 80 frame without beating the tunnel in. You will need to swap the entire tree and forks from your 78 to the 80.
            Thanks for chiming in Kid,
            How much work do you think it will take to alter the tank?
            The trees and forks are in good shape from the 78 so I should be good there.
            I would just use the 78 to go cafe, but the po decided to start in on a chopper and cut on the frame. And the engine is out of it and not sure what condition it is in.

Comment

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
              Thanks for chiming in Kid,
              How much work do you think it will take to alter the tank?
              The trees and forks are in good shape from the 78 so I should be good there.
              I would just use the 78 to go cafe, but the po decided to start in on a chopper and cut on the frame. And the engine is out of it and not sure what condition it is in.
              Where and how did he cut on the frame? Have a pic? My frame had been hacked on pretty good when i bought my 750, but thats why i bought it, cos it had already been hacked on and i was looking for something to cafe and wouldnt cut up a good bike to do it. Get some pics if you can, you'll find that the 78 motor will be a bit easier to work on than the 80's 16v motor. (and frankly, IMHO its a better motor anyway) They have roller bearing cranks, those 8v motors do, and are pretty bullet proof, so unless its been grenaded comepletely, its likely it will run again with a little bit of effort. Not sure how much work it would take to alter the tank. I tried it with a pre 80 tank i had on an 80 frame i had, and once i realized it would need the tunnel beaten, i abandoned the idea, as that is not an area of the tank i would want to start wacking on.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2008, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Where and how did he cut on the frame? Have a pic? .
                It was cut out just under where the tank sits and back to the front of where the seat sits.
                I will try to get some pics of this bike so I can get your opinion.
                Maybe I can salvage it and have yet another complete bike.
                Won't my wife just love that.

Comment

Working...
                X