Oil Cooler help. What do i need??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler help. What do i need??

Ok folks, this is the stuff i have, and I have a couple of questions, as im a newb at hooking this stuff up.

Heres the cooler and adaptor together

Here's the cooler,

And heres the adaptor.

Ok heres my questions:

Where can i find hoses for this? And what size, from your estimation do they need to be? Obviously the cooler side gets screwed in fittings, and the other side uses hose clamps?

On the adaptor, im guessing that the big barrel shapped thing is for the pressure light sensor? Right or no?

and how much oil should i prime the thing with when hooking it up to the bike?

Lastly..WTF is THIS THING?

Ooops sorry...

THIS THING

Comment

Pictures would be great (on how to hook up the oil cooler). I will be hooking one up soon as well!

Is that a Terry adaptor?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
        Pictures would be great (on how to hook up the oil cooler). I will be hooking one up soon as well!

Is that a Terry adaptor?

Rick
        I THINK so, but i dont see his T mark on it, so i dunno for sure. Either way, it looks like it will work, once i figure out what the hell size hose i need.

Comment

Did you read this thread;

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Not sure if it will help, but somewhat relevant.

Rick

Comment

Looks like the same adapter I bought from Terry. I used 3/8 inch Goodrich hose purchased by the foot at Auto Zone. Be sure to wrap all the threaded fittings with Teflon tape before assembly.
            1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
              Looks like the same adapter I bought from Terry. I used 3/8 inch Goodrich hose purchased by the foot at Auto Zone. Be sure to wrap all the threaded fittings with Teflon tape before assembly.
              Where did you get the fittings that screw into the cooler itself??

Comment

OK,
                So I've selected my cooler. How are ya'll mounting it? The previous owner mounted the one on my bike with zip ties . I will probably have to fab something up but I'd like to see some detail pics of things ya'll have fabbed up to give me some ideas.

Question on oil cooler lines:
                Mine go into/come out of the front of the lower engine case. No one else seems to look like they are running that set up. Is my GS plummed wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by LilTinc View Post
                  OK,
                  So I've selected my cooler. How are ya'll mounting it? The previous owner mounted the one on my bike with zip ties . I will probably have to fab something up but I'd like to see some detail pics of things ya'll have fabbed up to give me some ideas.

Question on oil cooler lines:
                  Mine go into/come out of the front of the lower engine case. No one else seems to look like they are running that set up. Is my GS plummed wrong?
                  What model bike do you have? Most of the 16v motors ran the cooler out of the front of the oil filter cover and back. On the 8v, you have to have one of these adaptors to run it off the pressure sender.

Comment

So..anyone know where to get the fittings i may need for the cooler side of things? Is this something i can likely find at autozone like the hose or no? Thanks!

Comment

I'd go to a plumbing store and try to match the fitting sizes. Get barb sizes that match the ones on the adapter. If you get stuck, check out ANplumbing.com. You are going to have to figure out what size the threads are first though. The cooler looks like the one JC Whitney sells so you might be able to get the thread size info there.

That small aluminum bit fits down on top of the oil port in the engine cavity. Captures the oil and sends it straight up to the cooler.

Last thing is to suggest you rubber mount the cooler in some way to ward off cracking. Autozone sells windshield wiper motor gromets which are nice and gushy - that's what I used when mounting my cooler.

Good luck.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

16 Valve ?

Mine is an 82 1100E. I talked to one of the service guys at the Suzuki shop. He looked at it and says it looks right. He was going to compare it to his GS motivated GSXR drag bike but it doesn't have a cooler.

Comment

TheCafeKid came over here this evening, and we talked about mounting his cooler. I am thnking that fittings might be available at Grainger, so he will check tomorrow.

While he was here, he made the mistake of showing me the adapter that mounts to the engine. He happened to show it to me just a little too close to the polishing wheel.

Before:

After:

Now to get the Teflon tape on there and get the rest of the fittings so we can put it on tomorrow.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow . That thing shined up real nice.

Comment

Yep, that's one of my adapters, and I think I vaguely remember that cooler, (I've made hundreds of adapters since I started in 1999) where'd you get it?

Depending on who I supplied it for originally, the cooler radiator might be tapped for either BSPT, AN or NPT fittings, but I would have supplied the fittings, if I supplied the kit, so maybe the PO still has them?

I love that polishing job mate, that 6061 T6 billet shines up real nice, hey? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Working...
                              X