Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VROOOOOM. Pop Pop Pop Pop

1982 GS450GA 6700 Miles

Ok, so my bike has been running good since the carb cleaning. Changed the oil the other day, threw in a new oil filter, put in some new plugs. The old ones didn't look bad, a little lean looking, the cone in the bottom was kinda pinkish almost.

I did this friday afternoon, rode it all day friday, most of the day sunday, and sunday evening it started giving me trouble. I'd stop at light, and it would barely idle in neutral, and as soon as I shifted it up it started to stumble and die and I had to kick it back down and restart it more than once. I adjusted the idle today and it stays running but it seems like it doesn't have the same amount of power, and it just doesn't feel right. When I let out the throttle from high RPM its backfires and pops really loud so I'm thinking waaaaaay too lean. I don't think the carbs could be messed up again since I rebuilt them, cleaned the tank which is sealed, replaced the fuel lines, and checked out the petcock.

After doing some forum searching I see that I have the "newer" style carbs which only have one air/fuel screw. It seems I need to play with these screws a little to richen her up and I'm wondering what the process is.

Do I screw them in all the way and start gradually backing both out at the same time until the bike stops backfiring and runs better or what?

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
    1982 GS450GA 6700 Miles

Ok, so my bike has been running good since the carb cleaning. Changed the oil the other day, threw in a new oil filter, put in some new plugs. The old ones didn't look bad, a little lean looking, the cone in the bottom was kinda pinkish almost.

I did this friday afternoon, rode it all day friday, most of the day sunday, and sunday evening it started giving me trouble. I'd stop at light, and it would barely idle in neutral, and as soon as I shifted it up it started to stumble and die and I had to kick it back down and restart it more than once. I adjusted the idle today and it stays running but it seems like it doesn't have the same amount of power, and it just doesn't feel right. When I let out the throttle from high RPM its backfires and pops really loud so I'm thinking waaaaaay too lean. I don't think the carbs could be messed up again since I rebuilt them, cleaned the tank which is sealed, replaced the fuel lines, and checked out the petcock.

After doing some forum searching I see that I have the "newer" style carbs which only have one air/fuel screw. It seems I need to play with these screws a little to richen her up and I'm wondering what the process is.

Do I screw them in all the way and start gradually backing both out at the same time until the bike stops backfiring and runs better or what?
    The screw on yours actually controlls how much of the mixture gets to the pilot circuit. More or less, out is richer, in is leaner. Try starting at about 2 to 2.5 turns out. have you replaced the carb intake boot orings? And have you checked that the air filter is clean and oiled? When they dry out a bit, it will lean it out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      The screw on yours actually controlls how much of the mixture gets to the pilot circuit. More or less, out is richer, in is leaner. Try starting at about 2 to 2.5 turns out. have you replaced the carb intake boot orings? And have you checked that the air filter is clean and oiled? When they dry out a bit, it will lean it out a bit.
      From what I've gathered my bike doesn't have o-rings per say, just boots going from the air box to the carbs, two smaller boots going from the carbs into the engine. The boots on both sides have been replaced, clamped down, and check for leaks so there are none there. My air box filter is kind of funky but I haven't messed with it besides just opening it up to see what was going on in there. There are two white plastic screens that snap into place and hold the element inbetween the two plastic things. From what I recall after taking the element out and looking at it, it was dry as a bone. Should I take it out, clean it, soak it in some oil, squeeze it out and throw it back in? What the best way to clean it? Just water? I've read that you can squeeze it, just dont wring it.

From there I guess I can start messing with the screws.

Comment

Yup use some mild soap, like dawn or something, unless you have filter cleaner. Squeeze but dont wring. Make sure its good and dry, then oil it up a bit, lightly. Dont over oil, cos it will make it run poorly as well. Check to see that your airbox is sealed up properly too. If this, and the screws dont seem to do it, you might have picked up some bad gas, or maybe have some water in the tank or something. When is the last time the valves were adjusted?

Comment

When is the last time the valves were adjusted?
          I was hoping you weren't going to ask this.

I've been putting it off but shame on me for doing so. I've read basscliffs guide on it and it still seems a little intimidating to me, I think I'm going to wait until I get a clymers or hanes to do it because even with looking at BC's guide multiple times I'm still not too clear on what exactly it is I'm doing, or where to stick the tool in and how to actually use the tool to adjust the valves.

Comment

I was hoping you weren't going to ask this.

I've been putting it off but shame on me for doing so. I've read basscliffs guide on it and it still seems a little intimidating to me, I think I'm going to wait until I get a clymers or hanes to do it because even with looking at BC's guide multiple times I'm still not too clear on what exactly it is I'm doing, or where to stick the tool in and how to actually use the tool to adjust the valves.
            This is going to help your situation alot. When the valves get tight, the dont close all the way. Thus the fuel air mix gets crappy, the compression gets crappy, and in turn the bike runs crappy. Its not really hard bro, and yeah it IS intimidating. The manual will help you ALOT. Where exactly are you in ohio again? Maybe after the Red River Rally in the 18th weekend, i might be able to slide up there and maybe give you a hand or something.

Comment

This is going to help your situation alot. When the valves get tight, the dont close all the way. Thus the fuel air mix gets crappy, the compression gets crappy, and in turn the bike runs crappy. Its not really hard bro, and yeah it IS intimidating. The manual will help you ALOT. Where exactly are you in ohio again? Maybe after the Red River Rally in the 18th weekend, i might be able to slide up there and maybe give you a hand or something.
              I'm up in NE ohio about 60 seconds off of 271 in between where it hits 480 on one end and 90 on the other end.

Comment

I'm up in NE ohio about 60 seconds off of 271 in between where it hits 480 on one end and 90 on the other end.
                K that means nothing to me...lol I am FROM here, but didnt live here most of my life. I know more about Colorado and California than Ohio. Ive been to Ashtabula, is that close to you?

Comment

Here is where you would be coming, its a pretty long ride for you but I would be more than happy to show you some of the back roads I frequent here.

I'm not sure if they will compare to where you live though as it seems you live in a more rural area than I do.

Comment

Bah its only a 3.5 hour ride. Thats nothin Thursday my stepdad and i hooked up with MRiddle down in KY, rode down there all of Friday and came home, then i did another 100miles or so the next day with Dogma. So we did a lil over 700 miles in about 30ish hours :O) I would be happy to come up and lend a hand when I have a couple days in a row off from work. And No, there arent REALLY good roads where I live. But about 3 mins or so south or east and they get pretty good. I live in the city proper, so i get rushhour traffic to avoid, not twisties to hunt down...lol. See what your schedule looks like and let me know. Like I said, I will be out of town the weekend of the 17-21 of this month, and probably the weekend of the 8th of August. If you're interested, in Springfield on Aug 24th, there is a Walnecks vintage bike show and swapmeet. That day is my birthday, so I think i might go out and see what kinda present i can find...lol

Comment

I'm free after about noon saturday and all day sunday. It's pretty funny seeing my parents react to me getting a bike. I'm 19, work full time, go to college, and my mom is ok with it as long as I don't hurt myself, but I just went outside into the garage to check out the bike and take a look at where the cover comes off to expose the cams and my dad comes out and goes "That things a peice of crap, you need to sell it". I kind of just grinned and kept tinkering with the bike. He can't stand the fact that I got a bike because its pretty much the first thing I've done to blatantly defy him. He thinks they are stupid, immature, and a waste of money but whatever, it's always been a dream of mine to get a bike since I rode dirt bike and mini bikes as a kid.

His view on it at first was "If your going to buy a motorcycle you better find somewhere else to live" and he never misses a chance to tell me how stupid I look on it.

Comment

I know you just cleaned the carbs, I think you need to do it again. Clean the tank good...

Comment

I'm free after about noon saturday and all day sunday. It's pretty funny seeing my parents react to me getting a bike. I'm 19, work full time, go to college, and my mom is ok with it as long as I don't hurt myself, but I just went outside into the garage to check out the bike and take a look at where the cover comes off to expose the cams and my dad comes out and goes "That things a peice of crap, you need to sell it". I kind of just grinned and kept tinkering with the bike. He can't stand the fact that I got a bike because its pretty much the first thing I've done to blatantly defy him. He thinks they are stupid, immature, and a waste of money but whatever, it's always been a dream of mine to get a bike since I rode dirt bike and mini bikes as a kid.

His view on it at first was "If your going to buy a motorcycle you better find somewhere else to live" and he never misses a chance to tell me how stupid I look on it.
                          Well on one hand, i suppose i could understand his concern for your safety, however rude he may make it out to come across. On the other hand, I grew up around bikes. My dad raced dirtbikes, i rode dirtbikes all growing up, my stepdad has always had a bike, and I didnt get into street riding untill i was about 21 or so. So Ive never really faced a whole lot of opposition from the 'rents about riding. My mum does sometimes aggrevate me with her worries about me going on long trips on the bike, but she has never given me the guilt trip about it. She was always generally happy that i had something that i loved to do, between riding and tinkering on them. I hope that your dad becomes a bit more accepting of it, and doesnt give you such a hard time. Yes they are dangerous, but a RESPONSIBLE rider knows this, and takes that into consideration whenever he/she goes out. They protect themselves as much as possible as well. And i would have to say ALMOST everyone, if NOT everyone on this board is a responsible rider. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and didnt go out and buy the biggest baddest bike you could get your hands on to start out with like some of the squidly kids around here. THOSE guys are the ones that give US, and motorcycling in general a bad rep.

Comment

Draketh, just smile and continue on. I just turned 40, have 2 young daughters, and my mom and dad say 'your going to kill yourself on that thing' (I am now on number 5 in the last 3 years). In their minds I am still their 'little one', and lets not forget what the in-laws have to say!!. In the end, with a good head on your shoulders, being responsible and knowing the dangers (as theCafeKid pointed out), you'll come out 'swimmingly', as my english friend would say. And always, ALWAYS amgatt.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2008, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Draketh, check the petcock. your issue is similar to mine. Once I turn the petcock position to Reserve, the problem went away. So, try this and see if the petcock clogs up at certain position, if it solves then you need to replace the petcock.

Comment

Working...
                              X