VROOOOOM. Pop Pop Pop Pop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IluvmyGS View Post
    Draketh, check the petcock. your issue is similar to mine. Once I turn the petcock position to Reserve, the problem went away. So, try this and see if the petcock clogs up at certain position, if it solves then you need to replace the petcock.
    Also a good point

Comment

Alright. Spent some time wrenching on the bike today. Yanked the seat and tank, checked the petcock again, no leaks during on or reserve, nice flow during prime but I will probably replace it anyways.

I found a rack of socket wrench heads I've been looking for under my seat.

Yanked the air box element, washed it, dried it, oiled it.

Put the mixture screws on the carbs in all the way and then backed each one out three turns.

Got in a quick 10 minute ride and the popping is gone for the most part except a small one every few minutes while letting out the throttle. I'll probably back the screws out another half turn and see what happens after the rain lets up and I can get out for another quick test ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
        Alright. Spent some time wrenching on the bike today. Yanked the seat and tank, checked the petcock again, no leaks during on or reserve, nice flow during prime but I will probably replace it anyways.

I found a rack of socket wrench heads I've been looking for under my seat.

Yanked the air box element, washed it, dried it, oiled it.

Put the mixture screws on the carbs in all the way and then backed each one out three turns.

Got in a quick 10 minute ride and the popping is gone for the most part except a small one every few minutes while letting out the throttle. I'll probably back the screws out another half turn and see what happens after the rain lets up and I can get out for another quick test ride.
        You probably shouldnt back them out more than 3 turns. I may be wrong, but See what happens after it warms up and is off choke for a while. The occasional pop may also be from a leaky exhaust as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          You probably shouldnt back them out more than 3 turns. I may be wrong, but See what happens after it warms up and is off choke for a while. The occasional pop may also be from a leaky exhaust as well.
          Well, while I was doing everything else I pulled the new plugs I put in on friday and took a look.

The plugs looks the same as the day I put them in minus the threads being blackened. The cone was still really white and I'm kind of at a loss as to what could be making it run so lean. At this point I think the only culprit left is the valves.

Comment

From what I've gathered my bike doesn't have o-rings per say, just boots going from the air box to the carbs, two smaller boots going from the carbs into the engine. The boots on both sides have been replaced, clamped down, and check for leaks so there are none there. My air box filter is kind of funky but I haven't messed with it besides just opening it up to see what was going on in there. There are two white plastic screens that snap into place and hold the element inbetween the two plastic things. From what I recall after taking the element out and looking at it, it was dry as a bone. Should I take it out, clean it, soak it in some oil, squeeze it out and throw it back in? What the best way to clean it? Just water? I've read that you can squeeze it, just dont wring it.

From there I guess I can start messing with the screws.

part 24. those o rings will make for all kinds of intermittant problems. if you haven't replaced'em i would. i had a weird intermitant lean condition and found that the two inner rings were cracked.

Comment

aaaah ok. I knew about those, and they look alright, I thought he was talking about ones on the air box side of the bike.

Comment

aaaah ok. I knew about those, and they look alright, I thought he was talking about ones on the air box side of the bike.
                So you didnt change them??? Even if they "look" alright, they likely arent. If they are flat, dry, cracked or even old looking, and not round, replace them. They are letting air in. To test this, when the bike is good and warm and off choke, spray some carb cleaner around where the rubber boot meets the aluminum head. If the idle speed changes, you are leaking. THIS WILL make you lean, and get worse and worse. DO check those valves as well.

Comment

So you didnt change them??? Even if they "look" alright, they likely arent. If they are flat, dry, cracked or even old looking, and not round, replace them. They are letting air in. To test this, when the bike is good and warm and off choke, spray some carb cleaner around where the rubber boot meets the aluminum head. If the idle speed changes, you are leaking. THIS WILL make you lean, and get worse and worse. DO check those valves as well.
                  Well, I'm placing an order for some fork parts to stop my leaky for soon, so I'll throw in new boots and o-rings for good measure. I'm also ordering my new helmet. I saw it and fell in love with the graphics so I went to a local bike gear retailer and tried one on to make sure it fit well and was comfortable. What do you guys think of it?

Comment

That is slick! Do they have that in white or black? Id like to get one of those. Like i need another helmet. But hey, I NEED another helmet...lol

Comment

That is slick! Do they have that in white or black? Id like to get one of those. Like i need another helmet. But hey, I NEED another helmet...lol
                      Comes in this color too. Made by KBC, the model name is FFR. It's a full face flip up with a chin button, a pop up air vent on the top. Its a little heavy since the mechanism for the flip up function is all metal, but its not heavy enough to make my neck/head hurt on long trips.

Bike bandit has the cheapest prices besides ebay on them at about $170. I'm gonna order it tomorrow, and I'm considering going with the black and grey one since it will match my bike better.

Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2008, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Comes in this color too. Made by KBC, the model name is FFR. It's a full face flip up with a chin button, a pop up air vent on the top. Its a little heavy since the mechanism for the flip up function is all metal, but its not heavy enough to make my neck/head hurt on long trips.

Bike bandit has the cheapest prices besides ebay on them at about $170

Well my next and most important question is since its a modular, is it QUIET?? Most are obnoxiously noisy. Which is why i dont already have one.

Comment

Well my next and most important question is since its a modular, is it QUIET?? Most are obnoxiously noisy. Which is why i dont already have one.
                          Well. They didn't let me run out of the store and go for a ride on my bike with it, but noise doesn't bother me much. I've just been using an open face brain cage and I can't hear much over 35mph anyways but I'll let you know how it is when I get it.

Comment

Alright. Messing with the air box and mixture screws still didn't fix the problem. I'm just going to clean the carbs and tank again tonight and hope that helps. Anyone know what my float height should be for a 82 GS450GAZ?

Comment

I just realised that I never gapped my spark plugs when I put them in, I just pulled them out of the box and tossed them in. NGK B8ES. Could this be causing my lean condition? Because seriously, I took my tank off, pulled the petcock, washed the tank out and the tank was as clean as can be and my petcock wasn't clogged or old looking and it operates the way its supposed to.

What should I gap B8ES' at for a GS450GA?

Comment

I just realised that I never gapped my spark plugs when I put them in, I just pulled them out of the box and tossed them in. NGK B8ES. Could this be causing my lean condition? Because seriously, I took my tank off, pulled the petcock, washed the tank out and the tank was as clean as can be and my petcock wasn't clogged or old looking and it operates the way its supposed to.

What should I gap B8ES' at for a GS450GA?
                                Well, the gap doesn't matter, the service manual is on the way so if no one knows I will look in there. The only thing that changed before it started running real lean again was an oil/filter change and new spark plugs.

Does anyone know if plugs that are not properl gapped could make the bike run lean?

Comment

Working...
                                X