Engine Cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Cleaning?

What's a good way to clean all of the gunk off of a long-neglected 79 GS750 engine? Should I just use some engine degreaser and then spray the crap all off with a heavy stream of water? If so, should I have the engine running when spraying?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

I would start with the engine degreaser and a tooth brush. Then get your hands on a power washer and power wash it off. Then use a lot of simple green and do the same. Simple green not only acts as a degreaser, it smells nice and it is safe for the earth Ive been a long time user can ya tell? Then power wash. Honestly the power washing is what is going to get any built up oil and anything else off that and your fingers if your not carefull. Also depends on how dirty it is. Maybe take a couple of pics before your process so that you can see the before and after pics. Hope that helps.

Comment

Dont have the engine running because once you start spraying water, it creates a lot of steam meaning more cleaning. Do your cleaning and wipe with a lot of shop rags or cloths really well and then go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepin_Jeff View Post
        What's a good way to clean all of the gunk off of a long-neglected 79 GS750 engine? Should I just use some engine degreaser and then spray the crap all off with a heavy stream of water? If so, should I have the engine running when spraying?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
        I do that, with that purple Castrol degreaser and a nozzle, be careful not to blast the nozzle hard at a gasket, might cause a leak. Don't have the bike running at the time, seems like the water might crack something hot. Then take it for a long ride to get it thoroughly dry. Some people don't think using water is a good idea, as the water gets in places and doesn't come out, but a good ride seems good enough for me.
        The degreaser may discolor the paint, be careful not to get any on painted parts.
        Rifle cleaning brushes will reach way inside the cooling fins.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X