Soot inside carb body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soot inside carb body

noticed that the carb in take side has black soot like lining. this is there on all the carbs. The sparkplugs are nice and light tan color. no issues on starting or overheating.

any ideas ? could the valve setting be off. I had done valve setting about 3 months ago (150miles)

Thanks for your feedback
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 04:22 AM.

Originally posted by anikmankar View Post
    noticed that the carb in take side has black soot like lining. this is there on all the carbs. The sparkplugs are nice and light tan color. no issues on starting or overheating.

any ideas ? could the valve setting be off. I had done valve setting about 3 months ago (150miles)

Thanks for your feedback
    Unlikely to be just one valve setting being off as that would mean that the cam timing would be out.

Maybe a valve not seating quite right or the gap is set on the large open side.

Suzuki mad

Comment

timiing ?

could the timing be off ?

will try and post a pic soon

Comment

Thanks for your feedback
        Backfiring, could be caused by...
        ignition timing way off...
        burrnt valves but unlikely to be all four...
        Could be the intake valves were so tight they were not closing at all, this would have been fixed when the valves were adjusted.
        Cam timing way off?
        Could be other reasons I'm not thinking of...

If it starts and runs correctly, and is not backfiring now, I would say whatever problem caused the backfiring has been fixed, whoever fixed it just didn't clean up all the soot.
        Last edited by tkent02; 07-08-2008, 12:51 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

no backfire

no backfiring, no issues starting cold or warm. Timing too i had checked a month ago...not much to adjust as no points.

Comment

no backfiring, no issues starting cold or warm. Timing too i had checked a month ago...not much to adjust as no points.
            It must have been backfiring at one time, sounds like it's not a problem anymore. (:-[)

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

a compression test would tell if you have valve problems that might cause soot that far back. and your bike would run terribly if it was a backfiring issue

when was the last time the carbs were cleaned? and how often do you clean your air filter and re oil it?

Comment

carb cleaning

Carb cleaning was done about 3 months ago

Airfilter is new - K&N type (no oiling required), with V&H 1-to-4

Float levels ok.

Comment

Since it is on the intake side it is probably from the crankcase breather tube. Oil vapors from blow by are returned to the breather box to be burned by the engine.

Comment

breather...

would that send the fumes to the airbox right ? then i should have soot at the airfilter end. unless i got this all reversed

Comment

Carb cleaning was done about 3 months ago

Airfilter is new - K&N type (no oiling required), with V&H 1-to-4

Float levels ok.
                      Are you sure about the filter? The only K&N type I'm familiar with require oiling with the proper type of oil.

/\/\ac

Comment

air filter

yeah - pretty sure - its not original K&N but similar type- checked with the manufacturer...no need of oil.

Posted a picture
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM. Reason: posting a picture

Comment

It has probably had tuning issues in the past, like tight valve clearances.
                          It's obviously running good now. Just ride it.
                          When you can't overcome the guilt any longer, pull the carbs and clean the carbon off them. Next winter?
                          The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

would that send the fumes to the airbox right ? then i should have soot at the airfilter end. unless i got this all reversed
                            Ahh...when you said intake side I thought you meant on the IN take side. I couldn't open the thumbnail.

Comment

Working...
                            X