Which plugs for gs1000???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which plugs for gs1000???

HI GUYS. WHAT ARE THE BEST PLUGS FOR MY GS1000? ITS GOT A HARRIS WORKS PIPE> K+N FILTERS. ITS BEEN JETTED FOR THESE, THE PLUGS ARE BR8ES AT THE MOMENT. THEY GET A BIT BLACK AFTER A RUN OF 10-20 MILES. SHOULD I TRY A HOTTER PLUG? IF SO WHATS BEST??? THANKS

B8ES (or BR8ES being the resistor type) are the correct plugs for that bike. If they are sooting up (black and fluffy looking) then the jetting in the carbs is set up incorrectly and it is running rich. Changing to a hotter plug is not a solution. Fix the jetting problem if you want the bike to run correctly. Hope it helps! And please turn your caps lock off. It looks like you are yelling at people

Comment

Originally posted by samuria View Post
      ITS BEEN JETTED FOR THESE
      By who?
      Which jets?
      How about the other adjustments?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the jets were done by a mate of mine. but which size i dont know. what other adjustments are needed? as he has moved away i cant get him to look at the bike. if they are wrong how do i correct the problems? any help gladly recived ???

Comment

You're in for fun and games if your carbs are set up wrong and you're not running standard pipes / filters - especially the filters as you would probably be ok with standard jets if you just had the Harris fitted.

You have to tune your carbs in through the main jets / needle position / slide cutaway / pilot system stages of throttle opening and the stages are not 100% clear cut.

There are loads of threads on here on how to set up your carbs - use the search facility and read loads of the articles. Once you've read them you'll be on the way to understanding how your carbs work and will be able to ask the right questions / figure bits out.

Sorry to be a bit negative but if you don't understand how the things work you could be entering a period of massive frustration and not an insignificant cost.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Well, the bonus for him is that there ARE Dynojet kits available for the GS1000 in all forms. So sir, were I you, i would snatch a DynoJet Stage 3 kit up and start over, to assure that everything is right and you're not chasing your tail. Just my opinion.

Comment

the "black" may also be oil if your rings are not sealing all that well
              that "black" is wet-oily looking as compared to the "dry-carbon" looking if its from the petrol

before spending money on the jets etc, i'd do a "plug chop", that'd tell you what (if anything) is wrong with the jet sizes, etc
              your "black" may be just from the pilot circuit and that can be remedied through adjustments only (no need for new jets)
              "plug chop" has been explained on the forums, do a search

bear in mind that uk models already have upsized jets compared to the usa models so take that into account when reading what folks say about jetting

i run a free flow 4-1 on standard jetting (non usa model) and the plugs are nowhere near "lean"
              Last edited by psyguy; 07-08-2008, 07:36 PM.
              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
              X