Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting the bolt that holds the shifter on????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the bolt that holds the shifter on????

I need to get at the front sprocket and I am having a hard time getting that little 10mm or 9mm bolt that holds the shifter to the splined shaft loose to get the shifter off. Any of you GS experts know what to do to get that bolt loose. They did not leave much room there. It looks like the 10 fits but I do not have a 9mm wrench to try tonight. There is not enough room in there to get a good grip on it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tom
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2008, 07:10 AM. Reason: new pics

10mm. most of the bolts on these bike are 10mm.

Comment

if its never been taken off you may be in for a ride....

lol

Comment

I am thinking it is in it's origianal resting spot with years of heat applied. I see trouble ahead for a little bolt. Grinder time?????

Comment

Bugger!If you can't get it out,you could try a hacksaw blade(not in the hacksaw)and cut the bolt.Then drill and re-tap once the lever is off.The bolt is 10mm(6mm thread and 10 mm spanner).Good luck.Cheers,Simon.
          http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

On my 850 it is 12 mm. Easy to get at: put a socket on a short extension, to avoid interference from the left food peg.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by rombi View Post
              I need to get at the front sprocket and I am having a hard time getting that little 10mm or 9mm bolt that holds the shifter to the splined shaft loose to get the shifter off. Any of you GS experts know what to do to get that bolt loose. They did not leave much room there. It looks like the 10 fits but I do not have a 9mm wrench to try tonight. There is not enough room in there to get a good grip on it.
              Thanks in advance.
              Tom
              What bike?

Some GS's have the gear change lever direct to the shaft others have a remote changer and a short attachement that attaches to the shaft.

The bolt is holding this peice on. The shaft has a recess that the bolt fits into to stop it moving along the shaft. If you cut the head off the gear lever won't come off the bike.

Suzuki mad

Comment

it is a 650e. There is no way a socket is getting in there. I have a 10mm open end that I can get on it but then there is no room to turn it. If I cut the head off then there is bigger problems. It looks like it was built to not come apart...

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                  Bugger!If you can't get it out,you could try a hacksaw blade(not in the hacksaw)and cut the bolt.Then drill and re-tap once the lever is off.The bolt is 10mm(6mm thread and 10 mm spanner).Good luck.Cheers,Simon.
                  If I could even get the hack saw blade in there to cut the midle I would. No room for that either.

Comment

Photo Time.

This doesn't sound right. You should be able to get that bolt out no problems. You have to get at the sprocket.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

When you have removed the 6mm bolt, replace it with a hex headed one. This way you can use an allen head tool to remove it with whichever end best suits (long or short).

Comment

We need pics.

Comment

Here is a picture of mine, its bigger than yours, M8 with 13mm head!
                          Aftermarket screw, the OEM was 12mm head.

For the GS 1000G 1980 the part is 01500-06207 shows as replaced 01107-08208. To me that means that the M6 bolt has replaced the M8 one.

If you break the M6 one, it usually breaks just where the thread starts and only the bottom part is threaded. It will definitely be a 10mm for a M6 not a 9mm. you definitely will not get it out if the body of the bolt stays in the slot on the shaft. May have to try spot welding a bar to the top of the bolt if a ring spanner of swivelhead socket cannot take.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rombi View Post
                            it is a 650e. There is no way a socket is getting in there. I have a 10mm open end that I can get on it but then there is no room to turn it. If I cut the head off then there is bigger problems. It looks like it was built to not come apart...

I just did this on my 650e, it can be done. I believe I ended up using my 1/4 inch socket and driver to get at that particular bolt and was able to remove it fit without much trouble. Ended up doing it twice in 3 weeks as the front sprocket I had purchased was incorrect and I didn't notice till I went to install it.

I actually should go back in with a proper spacer washer, as I rigged another washer to get me working for now, but the inside diameter isn't correct and it could slide around. Need to stop by the hardware store to get a more appropriately sized washer to make it right, then I'll be going in yet another time.. Though the last week has been raining every day so I've been driving the cage..

Amos

Comment

Weird.
                              What does the Haynes or Clymer recomends as procedures.
                              We need pics at this point.
                              McLoud
                              '79 GS850
                              `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                              sigpic
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Working...
                              X