Should I go back to the stock ignition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I go back to the stock ignition?

77 GS750B. I'm about to start going thru all the electrical stuff that I've been neglecting on this bike. Looks like I'm getting weak spark and I really need to go over the whole system and clean it up and check everything according to the manual, stator papers, etc.

I'm wondering if while I'm doing this I should go back to the stock ignition with points. The PO installed a Martek electronic ignition. They are not even in business any more, it must be pretty old, and I have not been able to find out much info about them.

What do you think? Should I keep the Martek or switch back to points?

Thanks,
    gbw
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Originally posted by gbw View Post
    77 GS750B. I'm about to start going thru all the electrical stuff that I've been neglecting on this bike. Looks like I'm getting weak spark and I really need to go over the whole system and clean it up and check everything according to the manual, stator papers, etc.

I'm wondering if while I'm doing this I should go back to the stock ignition with points. The PO installed a Martek electronic ignition. They are not even in business any more, it must be pretty old, and I have not been able to find out much info about them.

What do you think? Should I keep the Martek or switch back to points?

Thanks,
    gbw
    Depends. Are you going for "BONE STOCK ORIGINAL" or driveability/reliability? If the later, get yourself a Dyna. Yeah, its spending more money, but P&C systems are fiddley, and god help you if it ever gets wet. I still have them in BOTH my 750 motors, as I have been hesitant to change to the Dyna simply because ive already dumped a buttload of money into this project, I will keep the P&C till it goes bad, then swap to the Dyna. But, as far as that goes, having to incesantly play with the timing and dwell, which ive still yet to figure out completely, on the P&C system is a PURE PITA. If ive ever had any possible ignition issues crop up, i cant be sure that its not the damn points, or the condensors, or both. With the Dyna set up, you put it in, set the timing, and dont ever have to mess with it again, unless IT goes bad, and then you KNOW it.

Comment

The GS1000S I've just receieved has been swapped back from boyer branson to original points to get it to start.
      No matter what, just couldn't get the 'old girl' started with the new ignition system.

Suzuki mad
      Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 07:44 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
        The GS1000S I've just recieved has been swapped back from boyer branson to original points to get it to start.

No matter what, just couldn't get the 'old girl' started with the new ignition system.

Suzuki mad
        I got lucky with the motor i bought from fleabay for my cafe. It still had (and still has) P&C in it, I didnt touch it, and she fired right up. They DID look pretty new, so im thinking in his attempts to figure out why the bike wasnt running right (or likely running at all) anymore, hed changed out the points. Little did he know that ALL of his intake valves were not closing. Kinda hard to get a motor to run if the valves are open all the time. Some of them i had to drop down as many as 4 shims to get into spec. Thankfully, none were burnt, and thats likely because they were intake valves, which dont get quite as hot, and once it got to that point, it probably wouldnt start anyway.

Comment

I have two dyna Ign systems in my parts box.. I have been running points w/ dyna coils for 20K miles. Just need to check & oil the felt every 5K miles - a 15 minute job..

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            I have two dyna Ign systems in my parts box.. I have been running points w/ dyna coils for 20K miles. Just need to check & oil the felt every 5K miles - a 15 minute job..
            Lynn you wanna part with one of those Dynas? I'll pay your reasonable asking price, AND toss in a complete set of unopened points and condensors! LOL

Comment

I prefer points, because when they screw up I can see what's wrong with my bare eyes.
              But the new stuff works fine too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X