Going back to airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to airbox

So my 84 Katana 750 is getting a replacement airbox. PITA but its original.
    Everything is in, sealed up and running but I just realized after I had tightened the last screw that I forgot to set the needle back in it's 3rd position down. Currently it is in the 2nd notch down from the top. How will this affect my mixture? Lean it out a bit, I'm sure. Will I damage it if I drive to work one day 36 miles round trip?

I would have thought being 3rd down it would richen the mixture not make it lean.

Suzuki mad

Comment

2nd notch is higher on the needle, lowering the needle into the seat.....less fuel delivery.
      Stock position is 3rd notch down, raising needle, richening mixture.

Comment

i'm confused as to why you leaned it out when you took the air box off?

Comment

2nd notch

I think it would be fine to ride. When you finish the ride today check the plugs for any difference in color or sooting. One notch in one carb is not that critical to basic operation while it may be critical for optimal performance.
          Lee

Comment

I live at elevation....4500'. Put pods on and figured I could rejet due to the stock needles having notches (Japanese domestic market motorcycle, none of the emissions restrictions found in the states). Actually it ran pretty good considering. I jetted and did many many plug chops. Each time it was rich, as in my plugs were rusty brown. Conversation with Jeff at Z-1 revealed I should lean it out on the needle to see what happens. Hence, moving to the 2nd notch down. Conversations with the members at www.Katanacentral.co.uk further verified what Jeff was telling me. So I did, it was still rich although less so, and by then I got tired of futzing around with it and bought a replacement airbox from a salvage yard in Connecticut. Also, I like the idea of maintaining its "stockness". I've been riding it the whole time, running pretty good, but not spot on.
            So... It's been a long strange trip. When I get home I'll reset everything to factory specs and see what happens.
            Hopefully my mileage will go up, as well.

Oh, and by the way, its all 4 needles.....D'oh!!
            Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X