Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes, Bearings, Rotors?

1982 GS850GLZ, 46,000km.

At highway speeds (40-60 mph) when front brakes just first applied, get a shaking similar to car when rotors are warped. Goes away very quickly, same whether solo or pillion, no shaking at lower speeds.

Ideas anyone?

Fork oil level, fork air pressure, steering head bearings, tire condition, tire pressure? Just guessing along with you.

The factory service manual on BassCliff's site covers your bike and will explain how to check all these things. None of them are difficult. Checking for warped rotors calls for a dial indicator, but you can work around that if you don't have one.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Not sure about front fork oil level, air pressure is good, tires are new, tire pressure is correct

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Barneycanoe View Post
        Not sure about front fork oil level, air pressure is good, tires are new, tire pressure is correct

Dave
        OK. If they're not leaking, and seem to be damping correctly, then fork oil level is probably not an issue. It seems the next step would be to check the wheel and steering head bearings. If you don't find them in the service manual, a quick search should turn them up. Both have been discussed here recently
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
        X