annoying clatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

annoying clatter

So when I first start the bike, after about 10-15 seconds it starts making a rattling sound on the left side of the engine area. Keeps this racket up for a few minutes, but once running warm it gets quieter, but is still there.

I'm guessing valves, but could it be clutch or something more nefarious? I'd really hate to discover a rod going, but I'd think that would get much worse at high rpm. Sound is pretty consistent in volume, but changes with rpm and not speed.

Originally posted by fallous View Post
    So when I first start the bike, after about 10-15 seconds it starts making a rattling sound on the left side of the engine area. Keeps this racket up for a few minutes, but once running warm it gets quieter, but is still there.

I'm guessing valves, but could it be clutch or something more nefarious? I'd really hate to discover a rod going, but I'd think that would get much worse at high rpm. Sound is pretty consistent in volume, but changes with rpm and not speed.
    The clutch is on the right side. The starter clutch is on the left though. It's very unlikely that valves are making excess noise, as they tend to tighten up. (do you know what your clearances are?)

I don't know if the starter clutch has a clattering failure mode, but it's a possibility. It's under the left-most cover of the engine, so you might put a screwdriver on there and give it a listen.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Could be something called 'cam end float'. The area on the head that is supposed to hold the cam in place gets worn and the camshaft moves back and forth slightlhy causing the noise. Happens to amost every 4-cyl GS with higher milage. Annoying, but harmless.

It is an irregularly spaced clacking noise that tends to go away when the bike is fully warmed up. There are threads about it if you want to search for them.

Comment

What I call the clacking sound is typical of a starter clutch on the way out. (Very definitive - it sounds like one of those 80s executive desk toys with the big ball bearings hanging on a string). The springs may have lost some of their tension and you can hear the rollers bouncing in and out. If it always 'grabs' when you hit the starter button (ie the starter motor doesn't spin without turning over the engine) you're not at terminal.

You'll obviously hear that noise in the bottom end and cam end float at the top of your motor.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Could be the starter clutch. Does that usually get quieter as the engine warms up? Haven't had any problems with the starter engaging and spinning the motor thus far.

Comment

Clatter on left side

interested in the solution you get to with this issue as I have the very same happening to my gs1000gl. My clatter goes away with slight pressure on the clutch. My clutch also slips when getting it on in 4th so I'm replacing it anyway so we'll see what happens to the clatter after that. I'll let you know. Best of luck.
            By the way the guys on here know thier stuff.

Comment

My clatter persists regardless of clutch position, so it certainly seems to be unrelated to that. I have noticed a bit of clutch slippage, but according to the forum the stock clutch is pretty damned strong and I'm probably just looking at weak springs.

Comment

Originally posted by fallous View Post
                Could be the starter clutch. Does that usually get quieter as the engine warms up? Haven't had any problems with the starter engaging and spinning the motor thus far.
                It LIKELY,based on your description, IS the starter clutch. I have the same problem going on with my 1100G, and its a common problem with higher mileage big CC GSs. Replacement is necessary, and not extremely cheap, nor easy to do, as the stator rotor must come off to get the starter clutch out and replaced. Eventually, it may start spitting those springs out. I found one mangled and sitting on the end of my magnetic oil pan plug. Dont wanna think about where all its been before it got there. The clutch assembly kit, NEW, is about 145 at Babbitts Suzuki (www.babbittsonline.com) depending on the model. There is a gent here who has one that I was going to purchase, but times is tight for me right now, so alas it cannot be replaced as soon as i would hope. 82GS1100 is the guys handle.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2008, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Kelly View Post
                  interested in the solution you get to with this issue as I have the very same happening to my gs1000gl. My clatter goes away with slight pressure on the clutch. My clutch also slips when getting it on in 4th so I'm replacing it anyway so we'll see what happens to the clatter after that. I'll let you know. Best of luck.
                  By the way the guys on here know thier stuff.
                  I have that same clatter on mine too. It goes away when the clutch is pulled or if I raise the rpm over 1000. I haven't rode the bike enough to figure it out yet (too many other problems to deal with first) but when I do I'll be sure to post my findings. Hope you do the same if you get to it first.

Comment

Originally posted by rusty boltz View Post
                    I have that same clatter on mine too. It goes away when the clutch is pulled or if I raise the rpm over 1000. I haven't rode the bike enough to figure it out yet (too many other problems to deal with first) but when I do I'll be sure to post my findings. Hope you do the same if you get to it first.
                    YOUR clatter sounds more like a clutch in need of some minor adjustment, or a clutch hub nut that needs tightened down.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      YOUR clatter sounds more like a clutch in need of some minor adjustment, or a clutch hub nut that needs tightened down.
                      Thanks, I,ll check that out. I'm going to pull the stator this weekend, while the oil is drained I'll pull the clutch cover too and look at it. Anything in particular I should be looking for? Dead giveaways?

Comment

Working...
                      X