first gs and having problems please help i'm getting desprate :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first gs and having problems please help i'm getting desprate :-(

Heres the problem I have got a gs550M and am having problems getting her to start I know she has run but stopped and wont start. I thought it was plugs (looking worn) so replaced them, then thought it could be battery so replaced that. still no soloution so replaced the coils I have spent about £80 and still aint running now im getting very low on funds I tested the rectifier by checking the resistance with my voltmeter and got good readings from each cable to earth/ground one way and when i swapped the leads round on the voltmeter i never got a reading. according to the haynes manual that is good. now i dont know what to do i'm feeling the hit on my wallet and still the bike wont run I have tested each lead (there also new) and still the plug wont spark. has anyone got any ideas im really stuck now please help
    many thanks in advance
    rob
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM. Reason: information

What year is it? That will tell whether is has electronic ignition or points and condenser. that's the likely culprit, though other possibilities as well.

Comment

Its a 1981 gs550m I beleave it has elctronic ignition

Also if you can think of a problem then explaining the soloution would also be a help

Sorry to be a pain but my new baby is sick and i want to make her better

Comment

Originally posted by rsb View Post
        Its a 1981 gs550m I beleave it has elctronic ignition

Also if you can think of a problem then explaining the soloution would also be a help

Sorry to be a pain but my new baby is sick and i want to make her better
        If you have a manual (if you don't can probably download from basscliff's sight) there should be an igniter test in there. Also make sure you have voltage at the coil.

Comment

Hi - whereabouts in the UK are you? - there might be someone just around the corner who can help.

There's only one place to start with this type of electrical problem - right at the beginning. Grab your wiring diagram and test everything through from underneath your RH cover to the plugs, breaking it down in to stages. With a bit of luck it might be just a lose wire or corroded connection.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

hello hampshirehog im from portsmouth in hampshire well gosport just across the water from portsmouth

Comment

rsb,

A few clarifications:

1. Did you ever have it running?
              2. How long did it sit without running?
              3. What have you checked that makes you think it's a spark issue rather than fuel?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

hello big T (cool nickname) i got the bike (about a week or so ago) and it had only done 100 miles over the last 18 months it had been sat for a minimum of 7 months but could be more. I have changed the plugs leads coils and when i remove the plug and hold it against the engine and hit start there is no spark on any of the leads. I have seen it running and sounded pretty good. However it cut out after about 10 mins and wouldnt start again. I have also cleaned the carbs checked the fuel tap works cleaned the filter eliment in the tank and flushed the crap out of the tank (I used some old fuel for the flushing) I checked all the fuel hoses (both of them) and they are clear. and when I hit the starter button I can smell fuel from the carbs if I remove the carbs then there is fuel in them so i think the fuel system is ok. so the only other thing i can think it could be is electrical. I have also tested the rectifier as per the manual and all seemed well

Comment

yes, being unaware of just how experienced you are with bikes in general makes it hard to second guess you.

are the plugs not sparking when you have them out and grounded to the engine? if so then you're on the right track.

are they wet with gas when you have been trying to start it? sometimes it's the electrics, but it seems much more often to be fuel issues with these old bikes.

My 850 however had one bad coil and a faulty CDI (black box). I couldn't find one cheap until I started searching ebay for the Nippondenso part number and wound up with one for $10 from a chopper guy who didn't even know what it was. that fixed the issue right up.

Comment

Hi snowbeard I have used the plugs on the engine when I hit start and no spark and yes when I remove the plugs (all 4) they have fuel on them. This is why im stuck

as for my experience I have been working with bikes for about errr 7 no wait 8 or is it 9 .................... days now first bike I have ever worked on

I am a engineer in the royal navy though so I find I can learn engines quickly but am poo with electric

Comment

Hi rsb, I'm not close to you, but it sounds like your coils still aren't firing. Are you sure you have them wired correctly and they are getting the juice they need? Did you buy brand new coils or used?

I'm not particularly familiar with that area, but I find that following each wire using a manual often helps.

I see where it was recommended that you get a Suzuki service manual (better than Haynes), but have not seen an answer from you regarding a manual for your bike. Do you have one? If not, you should click on the following link and see if you can find more info there.

I understand your eagerness to ride your new baby and wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you can get it on the road and in the breeze soon. Just remember you can't rush it. I find that the answer to my bike problems often present themselves to me when I'm off doing something else. As an engineer, I'm sure you can understand a step by step process and the GS electrical system is exactly that.

Keep us posted...
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

if this was already mentioned, i'm sorry, but check your fuses.

Comment

Are you sure it is 100% no spark? it happen to me once, so to make sure I took it into my garrage, close the door, turn off the light and tried....I was then saw there was spark.

My bike was having similar problem too, but when I found there was spark, I gave it few spray of Starting fluid and it ran.

So, try to give it a spray or 2 of Starting fluid and see if it runs.

Comment

You have quite a rare GS there my friend. I'm afraid we can not be any more help until you post some pics.

j/k

My only advice would be as already suggested. step by step through the manual. All engines work on the same principle - spark and fuel. If you get those two it should fire.

How are you testing for spark? If you pull the lead and put a spark plug in it, don't forget that it must be 'earthed' when you test for spark. If you hold it in mid air you won't get a spark.

Comment

A little help...

Not very familiar with ignition coils and the like, I don't think you've indicated that the starter even cranks.....(maybe because you're bike is a kick start?)

If it doesn't, get a voltmeter and trace the voltage from the battery to the solenoid, then from the solenoid to the starter...if the starter cranks but she no start, then you're a bit beyond my experience. If you don't have spark at the plugs, maybe you've a short some place or a bad ground in between? I'd try probing wires between battery and the coils or what not.

Something to ponder....not sure why your plugs would be getting wet without the bike cranking. I think the fuel only flows if the cylinders are drawing it in.....

hmm......

Comment

Working...
                              X