No announcement yet.

first gs and having problems please help i'm getting desprate :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here we go the starter works and im getting compression. no spark new coils. new leads. new battery, new plugs, my regilator is fine but still no spark not even getting the juice it needs its dead as a dodo im now thinking of giving up was up till about 2:30 this morning in the shed working on her and had to be up at 5:45 for work I so want to hear her fire but doesnt look like I will im seriously thinking of cutting my losses and selling her (i really dont want to) I only passed my test last thursday and itching to go for a ride but dont look like my girl is gunna do it for me I have given myself till saturday night if I dont know what the problem is by then, then I think ill have to let her go

Comment

Really not trying to make you look silly but I have Seen this more than once, Is the kill switch in the on position???

Comment

hi ricardo
        No mate your not making me look silly im open to ALL sugestions It could be something simple but I have checked the kill switch and when off the starter wont even try to fire when on the starter does fire

Comment

Originally posted by rsb View Post
          here we go the starter works and im getting compression. no spark new coils. new leads. new battery, new plugs, my regilator is fine but still no spark not even getting the juice it needs its dead as a dodo im now thinking of giving up was up till about 2:30 this morning in the shed working on her and had to be up at 5:45 for work I so want to hear her fire but doesnt look like I will im seriously thinking of cutting my losses and selling her (i really dont want to) I only passed my test last thursday and itching to go for a ride but dont look like my girl is gunna do it for me I have given myself till saturday night if I dont know what the problem is by then, then I think ill have to let her go
          Thats all you're going to give it? Thats really not fair, to be honest. There IS a reason its not firing. Its not some sort of mysterious voodoo. You just need to find what is causing it. If its not getting spark you have the following options, plus those i have not thought of.

A. as said, it may seem silly, but is the KILLSWITCH in the ON position?
          B. Do you have the plug wires hooked to the CORRECT plugs? (The cylinders, if sitting on the bike are numbered from left to right, 1234. The left coil fires 1 and 4, the right coil fires 2 and 3. If you have these switched, crossed or anything else besides right, it wont fire)
          C. Do you have lights? If you dont have lights, its likely you have a problem in the fuse block. Either with the block itself, or several of the fuses.
          D. New coils, so that rules that out. Are THEY hooked up correctly? One should have a (if the suzuki wiring holds true for all models) A pair of wires, one orange and one black running out of one coil, the other should have a pair, one white one black running out of it.
          E. Have you TESTED the ignitor?
          F. have you checked the WIRES AND PLUG CAPS? I didnt see if you did or not, you may have. The caps unscrew from the plug wires. Cut some of the rubber and the tip of the old burnt wire back on each, exposing new wire, and rescrew the cap on, after you've TESTED IT.
          G. How charged is the battery again??

Im sure there are more options, but this should get you started. It definately SOUNDS electrical to me, as long as you are SURE you ARE NOT getting spark when grounding the plugs to the head. Mmm.. You said you replaced the plugs. Silly question, but did you unscrew the lil tip on the new plugs? The stock wires wont accept the blunt rounded tip of the plugs, as its meant for car type wires. They simply unscrew. Mayhaps you didnt and they arent seating in the wire properly?

Comment

seriously, have you checked your fuses?

Comment

I have tested the fuses and all are good trimmed the leads of the wires and screwed the leads in the tips of the plugs i didnt know about at first but found that out (the hard way)

1. kill switch is on
              2. got right coils going to the right plugs
              3. Yep got lights and stuff but the right indecator has stopped blinking
              4. coils wired up correctly
              5. How do i test the igniter?
              6.cut back on the leads and rescrewed the caps
              7. battery fully charged

Started on your list Thecafekid not sure about number 4 though

also just noticed that the high and low beam are equal FFS this is getting beond a joke the right indecator has just stopped blinking and stays on :-(
              Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2008, 05:58 PM.

Comment

You really need to start tracing your wiring through as it all sounds a bit iffy - we get far worse weather than the Yanks and they'd probably never believe the state our looms can get in to.

What I'd do:

Pop off your points cover (actually there are no points but everyone calls it that - it's the small casing about the size of a saucer on the RH side of the crankcase).

You'll have 3 wires coming out of there from the signal generator (black thing) that go to your ignitor box ('black box' - solid state thing that you can't take apart unless you've got a PhD in something clever). Unplug the box and make sure your terminals are clean / dry / not covered in green mould etc. Using a circuit tester check the continuity of the leads from your SG and the plug. Crap in that plug is often to blame and make sure you ignitor is earthed - and not to a rusty bit of frame or eg battery box that is rubber mounted. Also that lead from the SG to the ignitor is exposed to a fairly harsh environment and can get fractured / rot etc.

From your ignitor you'll have another 3 leads that run via the same plug to your coils - do the continuity test again. Those plugs up by your coils are also buggers for accumulating road muck.

If that doesn't get it going you're gonna have to trace onwards and bods on here can guide you through that.

But meantime I would check that your battery is well earthed to the frame AND that your engine is earthed to the frame - these earths should be through pretty heavy gauge wire. Remember - all your earths need to be clean and free of rust. With your indicators playing up as well I'd suspect an earth problem somewhere and the bike is earthing out through the indicator.

Don't give up - the Jap wiring was built down to a price, isn't difficult to sort and you've got a bike that otherwise you could ride to the moon and back.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                X