Throttle cable insallation confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable insallation confusion

I'm having some confusion as to how the throttle cable is connected to the grip. Its probably really easy and I have overlooked something.

My shop manual only has slight instructions and for an older model with dual throttle cables setup.

So my problem is that I am pretty sure that metal curved piece should not jiggle around when its all setup. Mine does. I have connected both ends of the cable... one to the grip, the other to the carb and I can't think of any other adjustment that would make this stay secure.

My cable is a Motion Pro from Z1 (is very slightly different than the image I am using for this). The cable that came off the bike seemed to have a bigger "lip" that fed up into the control bracket and has a different adjuster mechanism. Maybe a few washers to fill the gap between where the screw tightens in and presses that lip flush with the inside? Am I missing something?

I can turn the throttle from open to close easily and there is minimal slack (not fully adjusted yet, as I keep fiddling with it)... but this piece moves around a bit and I am not sure how it locks into place at the control bracket end.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 05:22 PM. Reason: typo

I take it your curved piece doesn't have a thread on the throttle end as most do. Some of the other types have a 'twist and lock' action - you can see 2 little blocks on the round end. You line these up with the housing, push the thing in and twist.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

No that curved piece should not lock down, The lip only keeps it from falling back thru the thumbscrew. Adjust cable properly & you should be good to go.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

So it just hangs down loosely? I guess I didn't notice it to be that way on the other one... I'll adjust the cable tomorrow to spec and see if that helps a little.

It's loose enough to move around and rattle when turning the throttle. Maybe I can get a rubber washer over the metal tube and seat it against the lip to dampen it a little bit (if there is a practical reason for it to be a little loose - movement of the steering, etc). It seems kind of annoying and I have never noticed it to be like that on any bikes I had.

Comment

Working...
        X