Wrong brake pads?!?!? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong brake pads?!?!? HELP!

Ordered FA51 pads from Ebay per EVERY single reference I could find for my GS750EZ 1982

Got this:

The old ones are on the left. The shim wont fit and a good 1/4" of the pad is not even touching the rotor! WTF?!?!?

Your old pads look like they are off an 85 GSX750 / 1100 ES (UK spec). Attached pic of US GS700ES looks to show the right pads.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

pics of my brakes:

So what model brakes are these? It is not unreasonable to me in hindsight that the PO upgraded the brakes; he took VERY good care of the bike. I just wish I had thought to check first.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 07:18 PM. Reason: laid out pictures better

Comment

They look like our 85 GSX750 / 1100ES ones to me. So I guess they're 85 GS700 ones for you.

The big giveaway is the caliper bolts (not the ones that hold the body to the forks - the other ones). If they are around an inch long you've got the 85 brakes. If they are nearer 2 inches you've got the earlier type.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Fa-51

The pads on the left are FA-51......(which, by the way, is an EBC code number).
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

They are an inch long. How do I find out what EBC part number they are? The online guides are IMPOSSIBLE to navigate! Yeah I know all about the FA51, those are what I THOUGHT was on my bike, silly me expecting the model info on my bike to be correct!

Comment

pads

Maybe I'm confused.....the brake pads on the left are either FA-51 or the same pad made by a different manufacturer. Also, FA-51 is the correct pad for your front brake system.

If someone sent you the pads on the right and said they were FA-51's....they were mistaken.

Comment

So the ones on the right in the first picture are not FA51? THey look like every fa51 pic I see online! The old dirty ones are what I took off the bike, the nice dark clean ones are the replacements which I specified as fa51 from the buyer. Notice how much higher the ears are on the pads to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG View Post
                  So the ones on the right in the first picture are not FA51? THey look like every fa51 pic I see online! The old dirty ones are what I took off the bike, the nice dark clean ones are the replacements which I specified as fa51 from the buyer. Notice how much higher the ears are on the pads to the left.
                  That is correct. They sent you some other brake pad. The pads already in your bike were FA51 (or the equvalent). I have no idea what those other pads might be.

Do a Google image search on FA51:

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Fa-51

Thanks for clearing that up, Brian. That was very helpful!

Comment

Thanks, that is just the picture I was looking for! Guess I will have to deal with squealing brakes for a little while longer

Comment

don't know if it helps at all . but those pads on the left. the old ones from the bike. look exactly like the ones off of my 83 gs850gl. i just bought 2 sets and they look identical. unfortunely i don't have the packaging for the numbers. but i just went into my local bike shop and asked for 2 pair of front brakes for my bike.

Comment

I think just about every 80-83 GS used these brake pads.

Most local cycle shoppes keep a couple of sets on the shelf -- you might be surprised if you poke around.

There seems to be plenty of material left on your old ones, so you're not too pressed for time.

Also, I've noticed that the Vesrah pads seem to have a bit more bite. All the rest -- EBC, Ferodo, SBS, TufStop, etc. feel exactly the same to me.

A couple of good sources for Vesrah pads:

http://repairmanuals.com (Yes, really. Enter your bike model and they list brake pads and oil filters under the manuals)

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

http://denniskirk.com (been backordered for a while, though)
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've just been thrashing through the online parts diagrams and my assumption on US and UK calipers being the same and changing design at the same year is completely wrong. There are differences across all the models / years. Sorry for any confusion.

Of course, in an attempt to save face, I have to say that the UK bikes are right and all of those in the US are wrong
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                              I've just been thrashing through the online parts diagrams and my assumption on US and UK calipers being the same and changing design at the same year is completely wrong. There are differences across all the models / years. Sorry for any confusion.

Of course, in an attempt to save face, I have to say that the UK bikes are right and all of those in the US are wrong
                              Great save!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X