Only one cylinder is working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one cylinder is working

Hi everybody! I am new to this list. I tried to find info about this in search and I was not lucky.
    I am trying to ressucitate this 82 GS 450 L. Clean the carbs, put new gaskets, o-rings, new spark plugs and new battery. Now the bike starts but the left cylinder is not working (or works very poorly). I check the drain plug in that carb and there is a good amount of gas there. Check for spark and it looks like normal compared to the other one. The spark plug in that cylinder is coming out all black and not like the other one. The bike will idle and sometimes the rpm will not go up if I give some gas then the bike shuts down. Also sometimes it gets stuck at 3,000 rpm and if I put the choke on it will come down or/and stall. The bike has a lot of corrosion overall but the engine seems to be ok.
    Any sugestions?
    Thanks,

First since you are new to GS bike's. Check the air cleaner/air box. THEY WILL NOT RUN PROPERLY without one. Otherwise if the spark is ok I would re check the carbs and the carb linkage

Comment

I too am new to the gs. I found an 81 gs 450. I had a prob with the right side. After going through the carbs twice I was convinced that it was still a car prob. So I looked closer and found that the jet in the bowl that leads to the mixture screw was restricted. You may have the sam thing

Comment

I changed the filter in this bike. It is brand new.
        I am going to remove the carbs again and check those jets. I used chem dip to clean the carbs last time. Any other product you guys can recommend?
        I went for a ride in my neighborhood and find out the engine get stuck at 3500 rpm. if I can make it go down, it actually stays in idle. But as soon i give some gas it goes to 3500 again.
        Well, I will try the carbs again...

Thank you,

Comment

Check also to make sure your cables are moving freely, and your carb return spring is not broken.. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          X