umm, DAMN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

umm, DAMN!

Just did the coil relay mod on my GS850G as a preventative measure. Took it out for a run after letting it warm up, and DAMN! You hit 5-6K rpm with a 3/4 or full throttle and the bike wants to leave you on the pavement as it takes off for hyperspace.

For those of you who haven't installed this, I _strongly_ urge you to do so. Ran me $15 in parts due to having to buy a big box of connectors since my own set seems to have been lost in a move. 10 minutes of work, interrupted with the occasional beer, and I was back on the road with a whole new angry beast.
    This old 38K mile girl will definitely be showing her backside to a lot of other bikes now.

Congrats, and I agree, really wakes some of them up, best bang for the buck I've seen in a while.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've yet to install this mod - I guess it's time
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

?

So what mod are we talking about an where do I find how to do it? Should have my ol girl running soon, 1200 bucks in parts an she is comeing together. 80' GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by daWrench View Post
          So what mod are we talking about an where do I find how to do it? Should have my ol girl running soon, 1200 bucks in parts an she is comeing together. 80' GS850G
          check the tips and tricks section of the forum, under schematics for relay mod or something like that. There's a link to a pdf that explains it all, with several other mods included in there.

Comment

Sweet! That that outta work good with the stage 3 jett kit an 4 -1 header I just put on. Or @ least I hope.

Comment

Im plotting to get on this mod soon. Its cheap, and from what everyone says, its the cats ass as far as breathing some new life into these old girls.

Comment

Sparky!

Originally posted by daWrench View Post
                Hi Mr. daWrench,

Click here for the information I've collected on this mod.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

can make a big differance especialy at higher RPM as the current flow goes up with RPM's. (takes power to make power)

factory coils, especialy the early models are very sensitive to input voltage.

Comment

still waiting on doing the relay mod, should have done it today because it was rainy and i couldnt ride anyway, but the people at the local pub were starting to miss me . so maybe ill do the mod tomorrow

Comment

i just did this mod this afternoon. it was about 15 mins for me.. and i'm a retard when it comes to electrical stuff.. simple with matchless's PDF and it starts much easier now.

of course, stupid me let it run after i made sure it started, and i though i had some sort of problem, because it wouldn't stay running! i'm trying to think of what could be wrong.. and it dawns on me.. i didn't hook the fuel line back up

gave it gas again and it ran great!

only thing i did differently is, i did not cut any wires at all. i bought a connectors kit and used male ends to connect the old coil wires to the relay. that way, if i ever get stuck out somewhere and i can not get another relay, i can always swap it back to the origional setup. i personally would recommend it to anyone considering the mod. it's quick and easy to make it so you can revert if you need to along side the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X