Cracked Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked Head?

Picked up a 82 GS1100G with 7900 miles on it. Hasnt moved in 10 years because of a supposedly cracked head. Was told this is a common problem on the air cooled motors? Do they tend to crack in any specific area? I just want to make sure before I spent the money on a dye kit or a new head.

I have never heard of a cracked head on a Suzuki GS.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Me either.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
        I have never heard of a cracked head on a Suzuki GS.
        Neither have I.

I guess it could happen -- you'd want to examine the usual spots around the spark plug hole and valves, but it sounds very unlikely, especially on an 8 valve shaftie engine.

More likely, it started leaking or something and someone didn't want to replace a gasket.

The valve covers sometimes crack when some goober over-torques the bolts, but these can be repaired by any competent shop that does aluminum welding -- they're just a non-stressed cover. Maybe that's what happened, and the story got garbled over the years.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I can't say I've heard about any cracked heads out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jetta90 View Post
            I can't say I've heard about any cracked heads out there.
            On the other hand, I've met plenty of crackheads in my lifetime...

But a cracked head on a GS Suzuki? No way, Jose!

Comment

I think the story got garbled--the PO was a crackhead for letting the bike sit for 10 years.

Comment

Cracked head?? What a bunch of BS. I'd pull it apart and have a look. While you have it apart, since its been sitting so long, do the cleanup/refreshing derigur found on BassCliff's super huge monumental amazingly thorough official unofficial greeting. You might be suprised that if you do all the steps, that bike might fire right up, and be ready to roll (with some new tires of course) I happen to have an 82 1100G, and can attest to the fact that it is an AMAZING machine, with more power than you can shake a stick at. I have shaken a couple sticks at it, and it sluffed it off, gave me a cold stare and went on about its business.

Comment

If its the 16V motor then I have one!!!!!

No's 2 and 3 crack across between the valve seat and the spark plug hole. Had mine time certed and it runs just fine. I've been told by Suzuki Gb mechanics that this is a common fault on the 16V motors. If you could find a new head and you installed it the likely hood would be that it would crack within 2 years.

I'I did the pictures out.

Suzuki mad

Comment

The 8 valvers crack the same as the 16s do. It doesn't happen as often but it still happens. It happens in the same place too! From the exhaust seat to the spark plug hole. So, to "No way Jose" & you others that have never seen or heard of it, NOW you have. TRUST me, it happens! The 16 valve head that Posplayer just brought me to reinstall on his engine had one cracked chamber. His bike fired up & runs fine. Ray.

Comment

i guess i'll have to pull mine off to see if it's cracked in the meantime
                      GS850GT

Comment

I'm with the no way Jose crowd. Worked in the business for a very long time and cracked GS heads are extremely rare IMHO. Get the thing running, clean it and spray aerosol foot powder on the suspect area and watch it closely. Let us know what you find please.

Comment

Rapidray has torn more of these motors apart than all of us put together.

If he's seen some cracked heads then it can happen.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Humor me...
                            You have a person that parked his ride because of a "cracked head".
                            does it look like someone had it apart? how did someone come up with this diagnosis,
                            low compression between two cylinders?
                            do yourself a favor, pull the cylinder head cover and check the valve clearances first.

i'm going with the answer being... crack head
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Mine had so much carbon it it that that it was far too reinforced to crack!

This forum has everything except a pictorial on how to repair a cracked head. When can we expect one?

Comment

Working...
                              X