My Stator survived ...I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Stator survived ...I think

This starts out with dead battery #1... genius that I am I decide that the battery supplied with the bike was a cheap chinese one so I replace it.

I bought a better quality battery and installed it. A short while later it too has no charge. Read the stator papers...verry helpful..good job guys.

I've got a meter but it is old and cheap..still works though. The battery was on a charger for 2 days and had full capacity when I checked the voltage (12v) running and not. I checked connectors..not pretty.

Wires going to the stator and hot..too hot to touch with the bike running ergo there is voltage from the stator so I assume that the regulator is at fault. I should mention that I've taken this shortcut (I know I shouldn't) because I'm under a lot of pressure at work and don't have much spare time for diagnostics. I do have a spare regulator with a white clip which came in a parts box with the bike which I have tested and am told is working. So I install it.

Here comes my question. It appears that the existing regulator was installed by the previous owner and he did not connect it in any way that made sense. After consulting my manual and a little guess work I have connected the new regulator using pin connectors to match up where possible with the harness on the bike. It works my battery is charging.

THERE IS ONE WIRE ON THE HARNESS WHICH DANGLES...WITH A MALE PIN...kind of like sun morn..its colour code is white with a green stripe..DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS GOES TO

Everything seems to run fine. Battery is charging at 13.5v and lights are nice and bright. Still I worry.

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. Paul Kelly,

Does your regulator/rectifier unit have 5 wires or 6 wires?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply

the unit has 7 wires 3 white 1 green 1 red 1black 1brown

I'm in trouble aren't I?

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. Paul Kelly,

No, you're not really in trouble, as long as the wires can be identified.

This thread talks about 7 wire r/r units.

For example, on a later model Honda 7 wire r/r unit you have the 3 wires (yellow) for the stator connection. The remaining wires are usually 2 grounds (green) and 2 hot (red) wires. But your colors are different than the later model Honda 7 wire units I've seen. I actually have one in reserve, but I haven't had to install it yet. One ground would go directly to the battery, and the other to a good frame ground or fuse box ground. One red wire would go into the hot wire in the harness. The other red wire can be connected directly to the battery through a fuse. But without knowing what colors do what on your r/r unit, I would only be guessing. Sorry I can't be of more help. Mr. duaneage is always good for a part that's been tested to work (unless he's out of stock ).

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If the bike is after 80 than one of the stator wires goes into the light switch and back. It has no real purpose because it just routes back. It is for the earlier light on/off switches.
          No need for it.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the help

even though I have a loose wire not connected to anything all is working ok. I'll chase it down when I have more time but thanks guys...good riding.

Comment

Working...
            X