To fix or to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To fix or to replace?

I pulled my exhaust off tonight. While I was trying to finagle one half from the other one of the halves fell about 3 1/2 inches to the ground. When I picked it up, this is what I found:

It looks like the metal was extremely thin and probably was heavily rusted, but just painted over by the PO. Should I attempt to fix this or just replace it? Keep in mind, I have no welding equipment or experience, nor know anyone that does. I'm thinking JB Weld, but am not sure.

IMHO, if you can afford it I would replace it with another set of pipes. You could try to patch it with some muffler repair tape but if its really weak and rusty it probably won't hold. Try ebay to see whats available for your bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueandorangefish View Post
      I pulled my exhaust off tonight. While I was trying to finagle one half from the other one of the halves fell about 3 1/2 inches to the ground. When I picked it up, this is what I found:

It looks like the metal was extremely thin and probably was heavily rusted, but just painted over by the PO. Should I attempt to fix this or just replace it? Keep in mind, I have no welding equipment or experience, nor know anyone that does. I'm thinking JB Weld, but am not sure.
      Replace it with a nice header. That thing is probably so rusted thru that the baffle is rotten anyway, and ive heard tales of return exhaust bringing crap back into the motor with it. dunno how true that is, but even still, at this point, its probably not muffling much. Wasnt your bike the one that had a bunch of clatter going on in the head? If so, did you ever figure out what it was?

Comment

I could believe it. When I pulled the headers out of the block, all had heavy carbon buildup right at the port, with the #3 cylinder being the worst. Looks like I'll have to figure something out until I can afford something new.

Yup, it was this bike that had the tapping noise. I have narrowed it down to one of the intake valves in either the #1 or #2 cylinder, though likely #1. I'm working on bringing in a pro to help me re-do the top end.

Comment

Working...
        X