Electrical questions 79 gs 425 e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical questions 79 gs 425 e

I have a 1979 GS 425 E with 6500 miles on it. I bought it from a friend of mine in 1982 and it had 4000 miles. It has been kept indoors most of the time and is very clean. It was in storage from 1984 through 1994 when I took it to a Suzuki dealer where they changed the brake fluid, plugs, oil and air filters, oil change, new battery, new tires, in line fuel filter,and carbs. rebuilt. I rode it until 1998 and put it away again starting it every couple of months. In 2006 I had the carbs. rebuilt again and installed a new battery. I want to start riding it again and I want it to be reliable. I never heard of a stator or any electrical issues until I started reading some of the threads. Do these electrical problems happen with all GS models or only the bigger bikes? Can I or should I convert this bike to electronic ignition? How do I know if the rear shocks need replacing? Are there better Brakes that I can install than the stock ones? Is there a brighter headlight than the stock one?
    Thanks to all who respond.
    Best regards,
    Fredcip

Hi Fred,
    Electrical problems is not something that only occures with GS models. Every bike / car that is over 25 years old is suffering from that kind of problems. Everything gets older, and corrosion on connectors gives your electrikery a hard time.
    You can convert to electronic ignition, but if it works i would leave it like it is. Both systems have their pro's and cons.
    For the shocks i can't realy give you an answer. I allways feel it on my own bike, but don't know how to explain what you should look for.
    Use the search feature on brake mods an headlights.
    Good luck,
    Ed

Comment

Just related to the headlight - I have an '82 GS850 that when I got it 2 years ago, I took apart the headlight (took bulb out) and cleaned the inside of the lense with windex. Removed a film of dirt that really made a difference in the output.

Comment

If your bike uses an H4 halogen bulb, the Sylvania H4ST 3 BP 6 Silver Star
        is a good replacement bulb that is much brighter than stock. It is the same wattage as the stock bulb so you don't have to worry about it overloading your electrical system. As far as the brakes, probably the easiest upgrade would be braided stainless steel lines. Not sure which pads/shoes are available for your bike but OEM pads should be adequate.

Comment

I've got one too with about 30,000 miles on it, and have had no probs. Electronic ignition would be a good modification, but hey these things are so reliable why do it. Great bike, never let me down and ultra cool.

Comment

Working...
          X