Cylinder Head Gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder Head Gaskets

When I replace the gaskets underneath the acorn nuts on both sides of the engine do I need a sealant for those or can I just put them on?????? ????????????????????????

Sixteen valve??
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No sealant is needed for any of the gaskets on a GS.

O-rings and seals get a light coat of oil or grease.

You use a specific type of sealer between the case halves, where there is no gasket. But you do not apply sealer to gaskets.

The exception is if you are dealing with a damaged or gouged metal surface, where a very thin swipe of sealer in the problem area will make sure the gasket seals correctly.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I think he's on about the copper washers under the outside head dome nuts. They are just copper washers and as long as they ain't mangled just put them on with no sealant.

Make sure you torque the head in the right sequence.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Ok so those are copper washers??? Why does suzuki call them gaskets? Anyway that is what I am replacing the copper washers underneath the nuts on the side of the engine mine are very work and there is a small amount of oil or residue leaking from that spot. So no sealant?!?

Comment

This is based on my GS850G, yours may be different!

My Vesrah gasket kit came with the head gasket with copper rings built into the gasket around the four corner bolts, 4 gasket washers (as it was listed on the packaging contents list) AND the 4 copper washers that go under the acorn nuts. Gasket sets do not come with instructions or anything else for that matter... so familiarize yourself extensively BEFORE you start putting things together. I ended up having to waste a night working on the bike because I was unsure about those thin washers and needed to do some investigating first.

The 4 gasket washers were thin metal with rubber (like crossbreeding an o-ring with a very thin washer). Other kits may have different styles. Some have these rubber-washer things built in to the 4 corners (I think Suzuki head gaskets do). At first I thought that the rubber washer fit between the copper washer and acorn nut... I don't know why. But from what I found on the forums is that they go on top of the head gasket fitted over the 4 corner holes in the gasket. Then install the head, taking care that the washers don't move. The 4 regular copper washers go under the acorn nuts with no sealant.

Do not put any sealer, oil, grease, WD40, etc, etc on your head gasket. It goes on clean and dry.

Comment

If not damaged, put em in and torque to spec.
              V
              Gustov
              80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
              81 GS 1000 G
              79 GS 850 G
              81 GS 850 L
              83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
              80 GS 550 L
              86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
              2002 Honda 919
              2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

You use a specific type of sealer between the case halves, where there is no gasket. But you do not apply sealer to gaskets.

Brian I am getting close to putting my cases back together. So are you basically saying that sealer goes on the jointing surfaces only and not on the semi-circles in the case that hold the mainshaft and layshaft ends on both sides and the crankshaft outer bearings and seals. Are these half round areas on the crankcase joint left clean. Does anything go on the seal outer circumferences before the crankcases are put together.

Any info greatly appreciated. I am going to use ThreeBond 1194, is that OK.

Cheers
                Don

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Brian are you basically saying that sealer goes on the jointing surfaces only and not on the semi-circles in the case that hold the mainshaft and layshaft ends on both sides and the crankshaft outer bearings and seals. Are these half round areas on the crankcase joint left clean.
                  thats correct, don
                  the "plastic" bits are the oil seals themselves, if they re functional they should not need any extra gasket material
                  GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                    thats correct, don
                    the "plastic" bits are the oil seals themselves, if they re functional they should not need any extra gasket material
                    OK. Thanks for that. Some of the manual are not real explicit when it comes to clarifying fine details.
                    Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X