Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my idle speed proportional to my wheel speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is my idle speed proportional to my wheel speed?

Bike 82' GS850GL Stock.

I just replaced my nasty looking, brittle Vinyl (home depot special) fuel and vacuum tubes with some nice PVC gasoline resistant tubes from McMasterCarr. While I had the carbs off the bike I did a bench sync of the butterfly valves (only had to fix the outside clutch side valve) and reset all of my idle air screws to 2 turns up from the end of travel (which I think I had them at 3 turns previously). I Also checked all the carb boots for rips or tears. I don't have a manometer set so I have to rely on the bench sync. Here is the strange part... my idle speed has magically become proportional to the wheel speed. When I pull the clutch in at 55 mph in 5th it idles at about 2.5-3k but and as I break (slowly) with the clutch in the idle speed drops with the bike speed until I idle at 1.2k at a stop. I have no idea how this is happening. It does the same thing if I shift into neutral and brake down from 50 mph. Before I did the work if I pulled the clutch in at 50mph the idle speed would very quickly reach 1.2k. I have also noticed a slight dwell in power when I gun it in 5th. Any guesses?

sounds lean. try 2.5 or so and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
      sounds lean. try 2.5 or so and try again.
      Yup. A "hanging" idle is a symptom of lean-osity at idle.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You guys called it. 3 turns out and it idles normally. Im going to find a manometer and lambda (air fuel ratio) sensor and finally get a good tune on these carbs.

Comment

i love simple problems, they make me look smart!

Comment

Working...
          X