Conversion on 1982 GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion on 1982 GS650L

I Have a 5 speed transmission ,Shaft drive , Is there anyway to Up my gears? If I had a 6th it would be 3.5 to 4 on the tach at 65 to 70 mph.
    at the moment its 5 to 6 at Speed. Looking for milage and longevity.
    Maybe gear swap ? Also is there any of todays fork conversions that would fit My Bike? Dont mean to sound ignorant but with a shafty ya cant change sprokets lol . Any input would Be Welcome =)
    KnightRider

miss a 6th gear on my 850 too

there are different final drive ratios on gs's so that's one option
    secondary gears also come in different ratios so that's option # two

not sure what your bike has as stock though, so you may not be able to gain anything with the above suggestions after all

"nessism" 's got a handy list of all these drive ratios and i saved a copy but for the life of me i cant find it now
    GS850GT

Comment

The only difference I know of in final drive ratios is on the later 1100 GKs. The ratio didn't change much, though.
      Most of the other bikes had a 3.09 ratio, the GKs had a 2.91.

If all you did was to change for this ratio, when you used to run at 5,000 rpm, you would now run at 4700.

That much might be OK, but remember that your 650 isn't the greatest powerhouse, so it needs to spin to make what it can. You get the revs too low and you will defeat what you are trying to accomplish.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by KnightRider View Post
        I Have a 5 speed transmission ,Shaft drive , Is there anyway to Up my gears? If I had a 6th it would be 3.5 to 4 on the tach at 65 to 70 mph.
        at the moment its 5 to 6 at Speed. Looking for milage and longevity.
        Maybe gear swap ? Also is there any of todays fork conversions that would fit My Bike? Dont mean to sound ignorant but with a shafty ya cant change sprokets lol . Any input would Be Welcome =)
        KnightRider
        Not much you can do there, as an 850/1100 final drive wont even fit your bike. You are indeed kinda stuck with what you have. BUT, be aware, that running at 5-6k for any length of time isnt a bad thing. This is where the bike makes its power, or starts to anyway. This is where the designers intended it to run. (technically when that bike came out, the speed limit most places was 55, but we're talking what, .5 to 1k rpm difference?) Dont be afraid to run it there. Its not harmfull to the bike. If anything constantly running it down in the rpm range would be worse, simply because your oil pressure is greater at a bit higher RPMs, thus it moves faster, and in turn, cools a lil faster. Also, keeping the rpms up generally means a more efficiant burn. At 70, my big 1100G is turning 5k, and i still get good gas mileage, and have no worries about the bike being harmed from it. Ive spent HOURS at this speed/rpm range and never had a problem arise from it. It seems to like life better up there.

Comment

Thanks so Much for the Quick Input !!!! I Feel a Lot better Knowing Now what I didnt Know then lol .I can Live with that =) . I Think a oil change and new oil filter will make it allright. Its a 82 But Still Runs Like New =)
          Thank YOU ALL AGAIN !
          KnightRider =)

Comment

If anything constantly running it down in the rpm range would be worse, simply because your oil pressure is greater at a bit higher RPMs, thus it moves faster, and in turn, cools a lil faster.

While this is probably true, you need to remember that the 650 shafties were plain bearing cranks with the high pressure oil pumps like cars. Where most of the roller bearing cranks run around 8 psi, the 650g(l) are running like 40 psi. It adds a new dimension to oil leaks. Not trying to stir pot, just an observation.

Have to agree with others, high motor speeds won't hurt motor. If it is a little buzzy, a good carb synch will help.

Comment

Thanks Waterman, I had heard about the roller berings but didnt know what was on mine . I have been running it rich for low rpm . Now I know to adjust up and SAVE my Lil MONSTER <my bikes Name lol . If YOU Hadnt Posted that I Probbly have torn it up . Im goin to Oilchange and Filter ASAP and Resetto componsate till i get New coils =) Thanks again so Much
              Your friend KnightRider

Comment

Working...
              X