speed cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed cable

well i just got back from bar hopping, im not hammerd but a lil buzzed so dont worry, but as i was out i went to my buddies house and noticed my speed omniter wasnt working, got home and theres NO CABLE, WTF. someone unscrewd my cable and stole it...

so where can i get a stock replacement cable for cheap. this is a 1980 gs450L.

this just ****es me off, i mean i have this bike for maybe a month and a half and some darn areshole has to take my cable. whats this world coming to?

Originally posted by NetBSD View Post
    well i just got back from bar hopping, im not hammerd but a lil buzzed so dont worry, but as i was out i went to my buddies house and noticed my speed omniter wasnt working, got home and theres NO CABLE, WTF. someone unscrewd my cable and stole it...

so where can i get a stock replacement cable for cheap. this is a 1980 gs450L.

this just ****es me off, i mean i have this bike for maybe a month and a half and some darn areshole has to take my cable. whats this world coming to?
    Sorry, but being "buzzed" means that you've consumed enough alcohol to impact your ability to drive. Not to lecture, but you owe it to yourself, those with whom you share the road and those that care about you to not ride or drive when buzzed. There's just to much at stake to take such chances.

RE: The missing speedometer cable. Sure it didn't somehow fall out?

Comment

Being a bit buzzed,are you sure you were looking at the right end of the bike??Cheers,Simon.
      http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

www.bikebandit.com
        GS850GT

Comment

i know alot of you guys dont like the idea of riding buzzed but i was 3 blocks from my house at the local pub... anyway

i really doubt the cable fell off, i check them alot to make sure they are tight. i got lucky and this mornin i found an old cable i had laying around that fit but im gunna have to get the right one, just really gets to me that people have to be so low to rob a cable from a bike

Comment

well i just got back from bar hopping, im not hammerd but a lil buzzed so dont worry, ...
            Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
            Sorry, but being "buzzed" means that you've consumed enough alcohol to impact your ability to drive. Not to lecture, but you owe it to yourself, those with whom you share the road and those that care about you to not ride or drive when buzzed. There's just to much at stake to take such chances.

RE: The missing speedometer cable. Sure it didn't somehow fall out?
            i know alot of you guys dont like the idea of riding buzzed but i was 3 blocks from my house at the local pub... anyway
            Three blocks or three feet, doesn't matter. I have seen collisions when a drunk tried to leave the bar and did not even get out the driveway, let alone go three blocks. Sorry, but I have had too many of my friends hurt or killed by drunk drivers to have much tolerance for impaired driving, so I agree with MelodicMetalGod, please save yourself and others the grief of trying to pilot a vehicle while 'buzzed'. It's bad enough in a car, I don't see how riding a bike is even possible.

Now about your cable, it is still possible that it came loose and fell out. I have personally tightened a tach cable only to have it come loose within about 10 miles, so I imagine it is possible with a speedo cable, too.

One more thing. A favor, if you will. What part of the world do you call "home"?
            I want to be able to avoid your area if you insist on getting 'buzzed' and trying to make it home.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Three blocks or three feet, doesn't matter. I have seen collisions when a drunk tried to leave the bar and did not even get out the driveway, let alone go three blocks. Sorry, but I have had too many of my friends hurt or killed by drunk drivers to have much tolerance for impaired driving, so I agree with MelodicMetalGod, please save yourself and others the grief of trying to pilot a vehicle while 'buzzed'. It's bad enough in a car, I don't see how riding a bike is even possible.

Now about your cable, it is still possible that it came loose and fell out. I have personally tightened a tach cable only to have it come loose within about 10 miles, so I imagine it is possible with a speedo cable, too.

One more thing. A favor, if you will. What part of the world do you call "home"?
              I want to be able to avoid your area if you insist on getting 'buzzed' and trying to make it home.

you make it sound like i planned on getting buzzed and driving. and by buzzed *I* mean i had 3 beers and just started to get relaxed, far from intoxicated or impaird. anyway this isnt about my being a "drunk" driver.

it is possible the cable came loose but i still have my doubts

Comment

If it heing as nothing to do with you "buzzed" then why did you even bring it up in your initial post? You rode the bike while drinking point blank stupidity......... There was a link posted to bike bandit that you can find your cable.

Comment

Three beers

would totally impair my ability to ride.

Comment

you make it sound like i planned on getting buzzed and driving. and by buzzed *I* mean i had 3 beers and just started to get relaxed, far from intoxicated or impaird. anyway this isnt about my being a "drunk" driver.
                    First, please don't perceive this as an attack, as that is totally not my intention, but the sentiments you've expressed are exactly the kind of thing you hear from drivers that have been in accidents while having questionable or illegal BAC.

The reality is simply that any drinking puts ones judgement, reaction times, etc. at risk. Yes, we are all different and there are a million variables that determine howa given amount of alcohol will affect a given individual but the fact is that "if" intoxicated, our judgement is affected and we are therefore not able to be certain of our level of intoxication. Therefore, the only truly safe and responsible choice is to either drink or drive/ride, never both.

Best of luck!

PS: Glad you had a spare speedo cable. It would be interesting to know who took the original and why.

Comment

Working...
                    X