Throttle Spring Tension Adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Spring Tension Adjustment?

Is there a way to adjust how easy/hard it is to turn the throttle? My 550 is easy to turn and returns crisply, but the 850 is pretty stiff. It will return nicely when released, but it takes some effort (not much) to turn it. On the highway, it's causing my throttle hand to numb up pretty quickly, I'm assuming because of the extra effort to maintain speed.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Make sure there is nothing binding up the cable, like the fuel tank.
    You could spray some (insert favorite spray lubricant name) in the end after removing it from the controller. Hold it up so the lubricant runs down the cable.
    I just replaced my throttle cable because it was the same, it was like 22 bucks brand new, it made a world of difference.

~John
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Past:73' CL360, 74' CB450, 80' GS550,
    83' CB550SC, 78' CX500, 81' GL1100,
    85' GL1200LTD, 85' Honda Rebel
    84' GS1150, 92' GSX 1100G
    Current:
    80' GS1100E,,
    81 Yamaha XS1100,
    01' Bandit 1200
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Morpheus. I really didn't think it needed lubing, the way it snaps back when you let it go. But, who knows? Anythings worth a try...

Comment

The 79 850 has VM carbs push pull cables. Make sure they are lubed & adjusted properly. VM's do have more spring tension than the CV's. You can change the return spring Don't go too light on the spring

Comment

Since we're on the topic, I recently changed throttle spring positions on my RS34's to the lowest setting (of 3). The term to define this in the manual was "easily adjustable". What a bunch of crap !! It was easy to release the spring from the first post but impossible to catch before it whipped all the way around and under the cable housing. What a PITA to get that hooked up again.

Comment

I am also curious about this. That spring is a killer when you got the bike going 65+mph. Anyone know where we would go abouts finding slightly weaker springs?

Comment

There is only one spring on the VMs that makes the throttle return.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                There is only one spring on the VMs that makes the throttle return.

I know that... I was saying springs as in, "we need springs"

Comment

This is probably why the PO of my bike had a throttle lock installed... My right hand starts to get numb almost immediately on the freeway. Not like my 550 at all...

Comment

The cable's push and pull. Its likely that one is jamming up hence the pressure to pull it. Are they NOS or aftermarket suzuki cables?

Best advice is to strip them off the bike and oil them. If it doesn't change then change them for NOS parts.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
                    X