Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highway speeds for the first time, 40 minutes then cam seal blew....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highway speeds for the first time, 40 minutes then cam seal blew....

first off its a 81 gs650 glx, running at about 65-70 mph at 5k rpm. Road for about 40 minutes this way, <i know that was intended to be that high in R's> but when i parked it at bike night last night it was ok. I came back to the bike an hour later and their is a small 4" cirle of oil and you can see the leak from the cam seal, i checked the oil and was still full and figured i would check it again before i left for the day. 2 hours later i started her up and revv'd it a couple of times and then oil cascaded out from under that chrome cover, then when i turned off the bike i saw the half moon seal under the cover and fell out.

IS this a normal occurence with this type of highway use? I understand that the last guy prolly didnt seat the seal correctly when he changed the valve cover gasket but just figured i would ask...

It should be able to run highway for years and not have a problem with the half moon plugs. the first thing I would check is the crank case breather. if it is not venting properly you will build pressure in the engine and something will have to give quite likely the half moon caps. or it could just be suspect installation.

Comment

agreed. make sure it's pushing air. i had a bike that someone took the breather and plugged it. leaked oil like it was full of bird shot.

Comment

These 1/2 moon are made of rubber and get hard over time.

You're bowling along the open highway, engine hot and the seal lets go. Thats all.

How long have they been in there? If its more then 5 years you've done well. If you have never changed them spend a few 'bucks' and get some new ones. Its a half an hour job.

Stop worrying that the lump is going to fall apart on you. Just change the 1/2/ moons.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
        X