Cable lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cable lube?

I spent as much time searching this as any sane man should. What oil (grease) should one use on the speedo, tach etc. cables. Keep in mind this bike is ridden at freezing and above. I saw one post where Scotty recommended chain oil and Nick didn't know what it wuzz. I respect Scotty's input but you can't even buy cold ice cream where he lives. :?

Re: Cable lube?

Terry, I have an odd method of lubing cables, but I prefer not to do it any other way. I take my shop vac and duct tape over the end of the hose. Then punch a hole through the duct tape with a screwdriver so I can push the cable housing into the vac hose. Turn the shop vac on and spray the other end of the cable with chain lube letting it get drawn into the cable housing. In about 10 minutes, I take the cable end out of the vac and check to see if it is pulling through yet. Once it is, I let the cable sit for about an hour and the chain lube congeals into grease in the housing. It will never run out or dry out. I rarely lube a cable more than once a year.

Earl

Originally posted by terrybird
    I spent as much time searching this as any sane man should. What oil (grease) should one use on the speedo, tach etc. cables. Keep in mind this bike is ridden at freezing and above. I saw one post where Scotty recommended chain oil and Nick didn't know what it wuzz. I respect Scotty's input but you can't even buy cold ice cream where he lives. :?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I picked up a little device at the shop this weekend for lubing cables. It's got a hollow cylindrical rubber part -- one end is open, the other is closed -- that goes around the cable end. There's a clamp-like metal bit that goes over the rubber sleeve and tightens it up. There's a little hole in the side of the clamp, and a matching "nipple" in the rubber sleeve, into which you put the "drinking straw" from a can of cable lube. When you spray the lube into the rubber sleeve this way, it is forced into the cable, and although it gets a bit messy up top, quite a lot of the lube makes it into the cable and comes dripping out the bottom.

As for the lube itself... I bought it at the shop. It says "cable lube" and smells like cinnamon hearts.

Michael

Comment

That device you describe is exactly what I have. I bought it 25 or so years ago at my friendly Yamaha dealer. Have been using it ever since. For cable lube, I use any silocone aerosol lubricant.

Twice a year is how often I lube the cables. The clutch cable is the primary concern.

Nick

Comment

maybe I could just go out and by "cinnamon hearts" straight from the farmer, or grow my own. Thanks for the info gseerrs soon to be geezers. And yes that is an odd method Earl but we will keep just between us girls. :?

Comment

lots of complicated devices I have one of those cable lubricating things still in yhe package. Remove the connections top and bottom and sqirt oil into the cable

I usually dont even remove the bottom . Just use regular motor oil if you are in cold weather and leave the vacune cleaner to the ladies.

Comment

I have the device that attaches to the cable and you use with an aerosol spray lube. It is what I use most often. I also have a cable-lubing device that resembles a large syringe with a piece of tubing and a hose clamp. You fill the syringe with oil, slip the hose over the cable end and tighten the clamp, then inject the oil into the hose.

I still use this device if I am trying to get something into a stiff or corroded cable. I use a light oil and then after flushing the housing out I add a heavier oil.

The last method is one I learned when I was in grade school with my first bikes. Cut out a piece of plastic from a plastic bag or drop cloth make a funnel poke a whole in the bottom, insert the cable through the whole. Use a rubber band to seal the material around the whole to the cable. Then hang the funnel up over a catch pan and fill the funnel with oil. After a few hours the oil will have started to collect in the catch pan and the cable will be lubricated. I usually used motor with this method. 20 weight will usually flow thought in a couple of hours and 50 wt may take over night in warm weather with a really constricted cable.

The Cable Life can of spray and the adapter to go over the cable is the easiest method.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by terrybird
                maybe I could just go out and by "cinnamon hearts" straight from the farmer, or grow my own. Thanks for the info gseerrs soon to be geezers. And yes that is an odd method Earl but we will keep just between us girls. :?
                Now dont go calling Earl a girl, she's a "Gearl" which is much worse than a Girl
                Wrench.

Comment

You better watch it wench, you keep picking on me and I'll have to send Dineke and Queenie to mash you and they'll mash you so good, you'll need a ladder to see out of your boots. :-) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by wrench
                  Now dont go calling Earl a girl, she's a "Gearl" which is much worse than a Girl
                  Wrench.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                    You better watch it wench, you keep picking on me and I'll have to send Dineke and Queenie to mash you and they'll mash you so good, you'll need a ladder to see out of your boots. :-) :-)

Earl

Wrench.
                    Ha Ha, i dont think so, Miss Aurora would never resort to such steps and as i have stated before i dont wear your type of clothing espescially high heeled boots
                    Wrench.

Comment

You really should quit riding in pink tights and ballet slippers you know. :-)

Earl

as i have stated before i dont wear your type of clothing espescially high heeled boots
                      Wrench.

Comment

Earl

as i have stated before i dont wear your type of clothing espescially high heeled boots
                        Wrench.
                        Gentlemen! Gentlemen! This competitive comparison of wardrobes is quite unseemly.
                        BTW, Wrench, if you need any help dealing with Miss Aurora or Queenie, I will gladly reciprocate your previous offer of assistance to me.

Comment

Earl

Wrench.
                          Earl i would but, i only did it once as a show of comraderie for your "everythink pink" riding gear penchant
                          Wrench.

Comment

This high tech talk is too much for me 8O

Comment

Working...
                            X