Where did I go wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did I go wrong?

Ok So I took the front tire off my 1982 GS1100GK and had a new one mounted and balanced. I then reassembled the bike. Today when I took it for a ride something was not right. as it turns out the left break caliper was rubbing against the rotor. This side also has the speed odometer cable attached to it.

everything pears to be ok because I did not get to the end of my street before I stopped. The rotor appears to be fine and the caliper has some scrapes on it.

When I put it back together I had normal clearance on both sides (at least I thought I did). I must have gone wrong assembling it but where would be the question. or is the front tire not balanced correctly? I don't know.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Sounds like you have a spacer (bushing) on the wrong side...I'm not familiar with the 1100GK, but there are a limited number of parts on the front end and they all have to go back in. Were there any spacers for the caliper? Did you pull the rotor? Axel nut tightened enough? There will be some spread in the fork tubes when you pull things apart.

Comment

I did not remove the rotors and there were not any spacers on the calipers.

I am going to tear it apart tomorrow and put her back together. I thought I put the spacers back in the right order. I will have to double check.

the book says to torque to 18-29 ft-lb I torqued the axle nut to 25 ft-lbs.

While we are mentioning Torquing. What are the feelings about the Torque ranges? should you torque to the low end or the high end???

Comment

I tend to go for the middle on everything but engines (with the exception of the valve cover) as it always leaves you a little more room if needed. Nothing worse than stripping out a set of threads...or maybe worse, snapping off a bolt.

Comment

Torque to mid range. Doubt that's the problem though.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by the1pig View Post
            I did not remove the rotors and there were not any spacers on the calipers.

I am going to tear it apart tomorrow and put her back together. I thought I put the spacers back in the right order. I will have to double check.

the book says to torque to 18-29 ft-lb I torqued the axle nut to 25 ft-lbs.

While we are mentioning Torquing. What are the feelings about the Torque ranges? should you torque to the low end or the high end???
            If it's like my 850L, there's not a lot to get wrong with spacers, IIRC. On mine, you have to take at least one caliper off. I'm thinking maybe the caliper got stuck on the slides somehow.

About torque... Here's what I'm thinking: If the low end of the range is enough to hold things together, they won't stay any more together if you torque higher. If the high end of the range is low enough not to break things, things won't be less broken if you torque to the low end. Anywhere in between should be good. There is a question of torque wrench accuracy, but if you don't trust the wrench's readings, why bother to use it at all? Get it calibrated (or do it yourself) and torque to somewhere in tolerance.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
            X