X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Solenoid/Relay wiring ?

Hiya,

1980 gs750L 16 valve model.

Switching out my starter solenoid , dropped the blooming thing, so now I am into guesswork land as to how the wires go back on.

There is a big thick red wire, which goes to the battery, and a big thick black wire that goes into the starter side of the engine. Does it matter which 'post' on the starter solenoid they connect to, or is either way round equally relevant.

Also, there is a thin black and white wire coming out of the main wiring under the tank and down to the starter solenoid/fusebox area. Is this just an earth wire that I can put onto the fusebox mount screws, or does it go somewhere specific.

Sorry about the idiot questions, but I took it apart last week, and I can't find my digi camera with the 'before' pictures.

No point telling me in electrical terms, or circuitry terms, as my brain will just explode, if someone could just remind me where these 3 connectors go.

I think I have it right, but I don't want to hurt my bike.

It doesn't matter which post you use for starter side and battery side, but depending on the shape of the thing, it may make more sense one way.

A picture (not exactly of the starter, but it's there)

http://www.lustygrapes.net/motorcycle/under right side cover.jpg

Non head-explody version:

* wire the battery to one of the big posts (there's usually another wire on the same post that goes to the fuse box for accessories, etc. This is the big red wire under the screwdriver in the picture.)
    * wire the starter to the other big post. (black wire with yellow jacket on the opposite side)
    * wire from starter switch to small post (mine's hardwired, yellow, and under the screwdriver.)
    * wire from chassis to solenoid casing (to ground it - black wire on the opposite corner from the starter switch wire)

Now, to make your head explode:

A depressed starter switch supplies voltage (which it gets from the battery via the fuse box) through the relay coil to the chassis ground. This pulls the coil shut and connects the two main posts, thus supplying full battery power to your starter motor. Let go of the switch and the coil opens, disconnecting your starter motor (of a hopefully running bike).

Comment

the perfect reply. Thanks, I'm off back to the bike, I'll let you know if there's a fire

Comment

worked a charm.
        Bike starts amazingly, and it's cured my hot starting problem, where the starter seemed to really chug, like a flat battery.
        Change of R/R , change of starter solenoid, cleaned all connections, cleaned starter motor brushes.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X