Smoking Wire 82 gs1100gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Wire 82 gs1100gl

I got my bike out to ride yesterday. When I went to get on it, after warming up for a little while, then warming up even longer (no choke) while my daughter had a fit, I noticed smoke coming from the left side cover (when sitting on the bike). I pulled the cover off. There is a group of wires, around 5 or 6. I pulled the insulator off the wires, and a yellow one is burned through and smoking. The bike was running perfectly fine even with the toasted wire. Any one have any ideas? Could this be a voltage regulator issue? Thanks

r/r ground is probably bad. or the connections are bad. i had the same thing happen to me shortly after i got this bike and replaced all the connectors in that bunch, along with the wire, and haven't had a hiccup since.

Comment

So you didn't have to replace the r/r, just fix the ground and clean up the connectors? That would be nice. Did you route the ground directly to the neg terminal on the battery or just somewhere else on the frame?

Comment

Mello,
        You say bike still runs fine. But maybe in a few days (or hours if bike running) you might say the battery is dead, because charging system not charging battery.

You need to get a meter and check the charging system. Check battery voltage with engine at mid rpm (4-5 thous).

Here again is my posting of a general schematic of the charging system for your reference.

Notice that they yellow wire is one of the wires between the stator and the R/R.

You did not say if the melted wire is melted at or near the connector, or if it is melted along the length of wire. If melted at the connector then the probelm may be bad connection at the connector that is producing the heat at the connector. If the entire wire is over heating, then there is likley a probelm in the R/R or the stator that is causing excessive current (short circuit).
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

The Zener diode either failed and turned on the SCR which will stay turned on in a fail condition, thus drawing too much current through said Yellow Wire thus melting and the insulation beginning to smoke and burn.

Or, the diodes up and to the left of the SCR failed in a short condition.

Do a diode check on it, or check the Silicon Controlled Rectifier for short circuit (always on) condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Mello,
            You did not say if the melted wire is melted at or near the connector, or if it is melted along the length of wire. If melted at the connector then the probelm may be bad connection at the connector that is producing the heat at the connector. If the entire wire is over heating, then there is likley a probelm in the R/R or the stator that is causing excessive current (short circuit).
            It melted directly after the connector. It was below the connector which I believe puts it on the alternator side of the connection, not the RR side. I was thinking of cleaning up the entire block of connectors in there while I am already there.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Guilbeau View Post
              The Zener diode either failed and turned on the SCR which will stay turned on in a fail condition, thus drawing too much current through said Yellow Wire thus melting and the insulation beginning to smoke and burn.

Or, the diodes up and to the left of the SCR failed in a short condition.

Do a diode check on it, or check the Silicon Controlled Rectifier for short circuit (always on) condition.
              So either way, looking at replacing the R/R. Should I look into the 7 wire Honda R/R and relocation?

Comment

pm Duanage on here, he'll sort you out with an awesome r/r , complete with all you'll need.

I got one and fitted it at the weekend, dead easy, dead cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow'dOut View Post
                  So either way, looking at replacing the R/R. Should I look into the 7 wire Honda R/R and relocation?
                  It may or may not be the R/R, you don't have enough info to know yet.

If the connector is bad enough, the the wire will burn because of the heat developed due to resistance

Did you do the diode tests in the stator papers, and what did they show?

Comment

Working...
                  X