gs 750 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 750 help

hey, i have an 86 gs 750 es, bought it told that the petcock needed to be rebuilt. tried pouring some gas in. gas stayed in the tank. tried to start the bike. took about 10 minutes then had it running. didnt want to idle. then looked underneath. gas was coming out from the hoses that comes out of the airbox. i took the petcock off of a 83 gs 750 and the same thing happened. the gas would keep pouring out them hoses when the bike wasnt running. any help is much appreciated

Not to insult you, but is it set on PRI or ON. PRI (Prime) flows gas all the time. ON, only flows gas when running. Otherwise petcock is bad, both of them.

Comment

Did the petcock get rebuilt?

Was the petcock sitting on Prime (Pri)? If so, that's a simple gravity feed that opens the fuel flow to the carbs when priming them.

By the way, welcome to the forum, dude. This is a great place to get your answers for these old machines.

Comment

Even if set on prime the fuel should shut off when the bowls are full. I'd work on cleaning the carburetors up before concerning myself with the petcock.

Comment

the hoses you are refering to may be the float bowl overflow tubes. if gass only comes out when the bike is running I believe the petcock is probably working correctly. I believe the issue it most likely the carbs. is you have a float stuck in on of the carb this iswhat will happen. You will probably need to pull the carbs ans service them. as another possibiliy you can try tapping on the side of the float bolws with a screwdriver to see if you can get the floats too free up or the float needles to seal.

Comment

thanks for all the fast input guys. dont get mad if i use stupid terms. so i just took apart the petcock. everything seems fine. tried it out by suckin on the vac tube and then could suck on gas tube freely. stopped suckin on vac tube. could not suck gas tube then. so seems to work fine. as for the float being stuck. there is alot more gas then would be in the bowl. large cup full of gas will come out. right now im going to go back out. give the carbs a tap and check the hoses leading off the petcock for any leaks.

Comment

hey, after taking the petcock apart and putting it back together and changing the lines going from it it isnt leaking gas anymore. i also gave all the carbs a tap. so one or the other. but it does not want to idle. i got to keep my hand on the throttle and it is hard to start still

Comment

ahh back to the start. bike takes 10 minutes to start and wont idle. after bike is shut off, about 1/2 a cup of gas comes out. pet cock seems to be working fine. what else. stuck float?

Comment

Stuck float valve at a wild guess.

When you checked the fuel tap (petcock) if you sucked on the vacuum line did fuel come out of the feed pipe? Your answer seems to say that you sucked on the vacuum line and also on the fuel line at the same time. If no fuel was coming out of the main fuel line then the fuel tap isn't working properly.

Suzuki mad

Comment

As said, pull the carbs and clean the bowls thoroughly. You've probably got some gunk built up around the float hinge and maybe in the valve passage.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                      Stuck float valve at a wild guess.

When you checked the fuel tap (petcock) if you sucked on the vacuum line did fuel come out of the feed pipe? Your answer seems to say that you sucked on the vacuum line and also on the fuel line at the same time. If no fuel was coming out of the main fuel line then the fuel tap isn't working properly.

Suzuki mad
                      when i suck on the vac tube, gas would come out of the gas tube. and when i didnt suck on the vac tube. no gas comes out. sorry i tend to ramble on and make no sense. im going to pull the bowls off and give it a clean

Comment

hey, had a look in the airbox and into the carbs. dirty dirty dirty. had a quick look on taking the carbs off and dont know where to start. does anyone know of a chart or how to start taking the airbox out and carbs off?? thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X