83GS550E Pilot AIR jet which one???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83GS550E Pilot AIR jet which one???

The manual lists #145, on the advice of another member on this forum i ordered the BS42/55 main AIR jets.

These are not correct they are too big to fit into the hole in the front of the carb. And this is after waiting almost a month since these jets were backordered!

I took out jets that were originally in the carb-small round ones #150, however i dont know if these are correct.

I installed new BS30/97 size 1.0mm thinking this was the correct ones and the bike will not idle and runs very rich.

If anyone has a pic of the correct pilot air jets for this carb i would appreciate it.

Hi Mr. GQROD,

I'm sorry I don't have a picture. Mr. first timer shared this information in the very first post of the carb oem spec thread sticky:

Originally posted by first timer
    GS550 (80-82) the specs are for the CV's

idle r/min 1100-+/-100r/min
    carb mik bs32ss (4 seprate carbs)
    id no 47160 (us) 47170 (can)
    bore size 32 (1.26)
    float height 22.4.+/-1.0 (0.88 +/-0.04)
    fuel level 5.0+/-0.5 (0.20 +/-0.04)
    main jet #92.5
    main air jet 1.6
    jet needle (4bel2 us model) (5f42-3rd notch canadian adjusable needle)
    needle jet x-6
    pilot jet #40
    throttle valve #135
    by pass (0.9, 0.7, 0.7 us model) (1.0,0.8,0.8 canadian)
    pilot outlet 0.7
    valve seat 2.0
    starter jet #35
    pilot screw 3.5 turns back (mixture screw)
    pilot air jet (us model #150) (#120 canadian)

these setting apply to all 550 models with the CV style carbs,
    Me personaly would try to get the carbs as close to the the canadian specs as possable the US models were lean out so much to meet emissions. the candian specs give the bike a hardier fuel supply.
    Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

FYI: I've also posted this in the other thread in which you posed the question.

The carb models that you mentioned above don't seem to be right. For the BSW30SS carbs, which is what your carbs s/b, here are the specs. Don't have a pic of the pilot air jet handy, but if you find that you still need a pic I can get my extra set of carbs out and get some snaps.

If you don't have at least one manual for the bike, definitely pick them up. This kind of info is priceless when you're wrenchin'.

Best of luck!

Comment

Yes i remember you posted this earlier and it helped alot with the other jets a photo of the air jet would help alot, i did find photos of what i'm talking about on another site a honda forum ( i know shoot me i was desperate ) and they had the same problem and they had posted pics the part number is N100.606, and N1002221, i remember this is the type i pulled from the carb before the rebuild and the size read #150. These are small round slotted jets, honda used these as main jets on 70-79 models and as air jets on 80-84 models i think an xs 650. Bst 34-38 mikuni's from what i rememebr reading. I will order both and try them hopefully it won't take another four months to get this beautiful bike running right. Thank you all for your help. I tried to post the pics but they won't show on this forum, i will try to get the link so others can see.

Comment

I would love to see photos if you can post them here so i know i'm on the right track, i really appreciate all your help and yes i had gotten the manual as you advised and it was priceless. I would just love to be able to enjoy riding this bike soon! thanks again.

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/printthrea...threadid=10316

This is the shorcut to the forum which discusses the small round air jets and their respective honda application. It shows two photos of the jets.
            The jet is letter A in the bigger photo. However the ones MelodicMetalGod provided are the exact ones!, the photo of the honda jets its just to clarify that those are the N102221 jets and are longer and perhaps have a bigger head than the ones needed for our application. This is because in honda carbs there is both a small round air jet and an air jet with a mm size. Hence the confusion and why there are air jets listed in mm which are not applicable to the gs550e application. Twin carbs are rare only two bikes had this set up supposedly from what i was told which is why parts are harder to find.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Well, I got some pics of the jets from the original carbs that were on my bike and it turns out the pilot air jets are 155's!!! Who knew?

Here's the pics:

Hope this helps!

Comment

If you can't figure out which jets to order ?? Check with www.sudco.com send them info & picture of the jet

Comment

THANK YOU ALL !!!!!! SINCERELY!, finally i don't feel like i'm crazy for asking about these jets, i had looked in the manual and all it says is #145, but when you look online they list air jets in mm sizes, so it led to a lot of confusion. I will be ordering the jets part number N100.606, since this seems to be teh correct size of 4mm thread, 6.5mm long and 4mm head. There is another part number N102221 ( small round slotted ) which appears to be the same however it i believe is longer and may not seat correctly, i have spent over two months waiting on the wrong jets trying to get the bike to idle. With your help i am finally on the right track to getting this great bike running the way it should, again thank you all for clearing up this confusion adn especially for the pics, i sincerely appreciate it and i will post updates and pics of the bike in a couple of weeks when i get everything installed and carbtuned.

Comment

Hi melodic

155's huh? wow the factory manaul for mine says #145, i originally took out #150's which i knew were wrong as were the pilot jets and mains the PO had tampered with the carb adn just made it worse. SInce i have teh stock mufflers and stock exhaust i'm going to set the carbs to stock specs with the final piece the air jets. I found a lot of members have had similiar idle issue swith this bike adn this may be a big part of the problem since no one looks for these jets during a rebuild because the factory manual does not list a step showing what they look like, and the dealer has discontinued this part. Thanks again i appreciate your reply it has saved my project!

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
                      Hi melodic

155's huh? wow the factory manaul for mine says #145, i originally took out #150's which i knew were wrong as were the pilot jets and mains the PO had tampered with the carb adn just made it worse. SInce i have teh stock mufflers and stock exhaust i'm going to set the carbs to stock specs with the final piece the air jets. I found a lot of members have had similiar idle issue swith this bike adn this may be a big part of the problem since no one looks for these jets during a rebuild because the factory manual does not list a step showing what they look like, and the dealer has discontinued this part. Thanks again i appreciate your reply it has saved my project!
                      How did you finally work out what part number equated to air jet #145. Are there two air jets, one pressed in and one that screws in on these CV carbs.

Comment

Hi melodic

For clarity I should point out that I don't know what's in the carbs on my bike, but I'll be checking those sizes next time I pull them.

I can tell you that these jets (in the pics from my original carbs) ran OK on my bike. The reason I changed to another set of carbs was due to pilot screws that were no longer adjustable due to galvanic activity (stuck pilot screws).

FYI: I've got four sets of these carbs, so if you're in need of parts, let me know.

Glad to help sort this out. We're all learning from each other out here!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                          How did you finally work out what part number equated to air jet #145. Are there two air jets, one pressed in and one that screws in on these CV carbs.
                          Great question, what i did was post this problem a couple of months ago on this forum because the dealer discontinued the part. I searched every concievable site there was on mikuni air jets, only to get confused.

I finally searched a honda forum and they had pics of the jets. I recognized these jets as SMALL ROUND MAIN JETS, not as MAIN PILOT AIR JETS ( not yelling at anyone just want to make sure i state this right for everyone's sake ) turns out other sites had the jets listed and gave this part number, seems this is the mikuni part number all sites use, it is a general number not specific to the size of the jet rather to just the type of jet. There will be other numbers after this with a dash or letter to signify the exact size ( different on every site ).

1-Yes there are 2 main air jets for each cylinder a total of four on each carb.
                          2- There is a jet that is pressed in, i doubt you ever have to touch this one.
                          3- The jet i was looking for screws in like any other jet. The reason i thought this was important is becuase i'm setting the specs to stock as far as the pilots, mains etc's and did not want any idle problems which i believe stems from this part being overlooked.

4- These screw in air jets are part of the idle circuit according to the factory manual.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2008, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
                            For clarity I should point out that I don't know what's in the carbs on my bike, but I'll be checking those sizes next time I pull them.

I can tell you that these jets (in the pics from my original carbs) ran OK on my bike. The reason I changed to another set of carbs was due to pilot screws that were no longer adjustable due to galvanic activity (stuck pilot screws).

FYI: I've got four sets of these carbs, so if you're in need of parts, let me know.

Glad to help sort this out. We're all learning from each other out here!
                            I can't thank you enough for your offer i sincerely appreciate your being so generous. I'm sure a bike will run fine with 155's because the numbers are not that far off from stock adn when the mixture screws are turned to adjust the idle it falls within the range of adjustibility. So it could be why no one checks these. I just wanted to make sure i did it right so i didn't have to waste any members time on common sense stuff. If you have #145 air jets please let me know how much and i would be interested. Thank you again for your help.

Comment

1-Yes there are 2 main air jets for each cylinder a total of four on each carb.
                              I know I am a bit SLOW. But could you explain this comment please. Are you saying there are 4 air jets on each carb. If so could you tell me where they are please? I only know of the two air jets on the air intake side of the carb. The one on the right is a press in job and the one on the left is a screw in jet. Mind you I don't know an aweful lot about CV carbs, I am more familiar with the VM type.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X