Stuck Carb Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck Carb Screws

Any tips for removing stuck screws in the carb gang plates? I cannot get a single screw out of my lower plate to separate the carbs. I've been soaking them with penetrating oil and I've applied a little heat to no avail. I'm afraid to strip them out (not to mention beating on the carb bodies) with an impact driver, and Vice grips will not grip them. I'm willing to replace them and am planning on it (stainless allen heads ) but I need a semi easy and cheap way to get them out. Also I have two air jets and a mixture screw I can't get out. But I'm thinking soaking the whole carb bodies in the dip might help with that. Also are the air jets commonly available? (I may have started to strip one and I'm cautious on those things). I have my o-rings coming, and new pilot jet plugs too, anything else I should look at replacing? (intake boots and o rings are new And I'm looking at a valve adjustment next payday.)

---Chad
    1980 Gs550L btw...

Dremel w/ fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel. Carve a large slot. Use a large slotted Craftsman screwdriver (square shaft, warranteed) to loosen the screws.

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Impact driver, whack em good. They will loosen and not strip carb bodies. I have probably gone through 5 or 6 sets (one this last week) and have not had trouble with impact driver. Make sure bit is correct size, the bottom screws needed a larger #3 bit while the back side I used #2 philips. This is on the CV type carbs hope this applies in your case.

Comment

Anybody know the size on those screws. I want to replace those with SS allens. Only screws on the carbs not in my bolt kit.

Comment

Don't know off hand (haven't got them out yet) but if someone doesn't chime in first, I'll have the answer tomorrow if I ever do get them out. Local hardware store has quite a selection

Comment

Ok, got them out, broke a tip for the impact driver . PO had a fondness for red loctite by the looks of it. But the promised sizes are : #10-32x1/2" for the top gang plate and M6x12 1.00 pitch for the bottom gang plate. That's what the allen head cap screws were labeled at my local ACE hardware at least.

--Chad

Comment

This is why the sticky reminds us to search. Same problem for me, and I'll run the solution tonight.

And CZ 699, thanks for checking the sizes, too.

Comment

Try the above methods, if those don't work i have found that Wal-Mart in teh hardware dept. sells a screw extractor that works great every time. The name brand is Bull Dog ( with a pic of a bull dog on the package ) and the drill bit it comes with is the key, it is the best one yet that does not get dull and makes it easy to drill the hole so the extractor can be used to remove stripped heads on screws, i even used it to get out stripped pilot jets on my carb rebuild without damaging the threads.
                *Don't use a lot of pressure on the drill bit- it may damage the bit
                Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by cz_699 View Post
                  Ok, got them out, broke a tip for the impact driver . PO had a fondness for red loctite by the looks of it. But the promised sizes are : #10-32x1/2" for the top gang plate and M6x12 1.00 pitch for the bottom gang plate. That's what the allen head cap screws were labeled at my local ACE hardware at least.

--Chad
                  Carb screws are metric, not 10-32 (metric screw is slightly larger in diameter). It just so happens that 10-32 is a very close match for that size screw so it can easily fool you (it did to me a first).
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for posting the size. I am getting an order together for McMaster-Carr and wanted to put those on it. Bottom and top should both be that metric size he quoted right?

Somebody posted the method for finding the number via the suzuki part number on alphasports once, but lost the thread.

Comment

The size of the screws in metric is 5mm (diameter). The length is around 12mm, and 5x12mm is common to find in allen/socket head screws. Home Depot sells them, but you can get them cheapest on ebay.

I need to extract a couple of stuckers myself, but I already broke an extractor tip off in one of them. Guess I got to find an impact driver. Once they are all out, I'm replacing them with said allen heads.

Comment

Working...
                      X