just double checking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just double checking

been riding the bike a lot lately, just went for a 100 mile trip today, and my bike doesnt idle well. i think it may be lean because i rode for a decent chunk of the trip with only a small throttle opening and my pipes are slowly turning more yellow. before, the idle would hang up when i rev it so i turned the mixture screws in a 1/4 turn to lean it out because i had thought that a hanging idle meant rich. now it barely idles but that may be the idle speed screw. ill turn it up a bit and do the highest idle tuning method and see how it turns out but until then, and comments/suggestions?

Originally posted by catbed View Post
    been riding the bike a lot lately, just went for a 100 mile trip today, and my bike doesnt idle well. i think it may be lean because i rode for a decent chunk of the trip with only a small throttle opening and my pipes are slowly turning more yellow. before, the idle would hang up when i rev it so i turned the mixture screws in a 1/4 turn to lean it out because i had thought that a hanging idle meant rich. now it barely idles but that may be the idle speed screw. ill turn it up a bit and do the highest idle tuning method and see how it turns out but until then, and comments/suggestions?
    Too lean already, you made it leaner.
    Airbox leaks?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

nope. sealed it all up a while ago.

thats what i thought. ill richen it up tomorrow.

Comment

Don't think it's a definitive measure like reading plugs, but I think gold pipes are rich and blue pipes are lean. It might be a bit rich once it hits needle or main, but lean on pilot.

Comment

blue and gold are the same things. the plating is discoloring due to excess heat. i had a feeling it was lean before, just double checking.

i want to get this fixed right away because it lacks power right off idle so i cant pull out fast if i have to.

Comment

Haw many turns out are the screws now?
            You bike looks all stock in the picture, so try 2 full turns out from lightly seated as a starting point.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

it is stock but with a K&N drop in filter. i raised the needles a notch also. i dont know how many turns out they are but i will start at 2.

Comment

Interesting... I had been misinformed. Though I have to say my new pipes had turned gold within the first 50 miles and I am not lean for sure. Also, the V&H pipes must be thinner walls than OEM because within about 5 seconds of starting the bike they will take the skin off your hand, where the oem took a minute to get up to temp.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  Interesting... I had been misinformed. Though I have to say my new pipes had turned gold within the first 50 miles and I am not lean for sure. Also, the V&H pipes must be thinner walls than OEM because within about 5 seconds of starting the bike they will take the skin off your hand, where the oem took a minute to get up to temp.
                  OEM are double walled pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    OEM are double walled pipes.
                    That makes sense. Also helps explain why my entire 4 into 1 weighs less than one side of my OEM pipes. It rides like a totally different bike. The most dramatic thing about swapping the exhaust, the "lightness" of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                      That makes sense. Also helps explain why my entire 4 into 1 weighs less than one side of my OEM pipes. It rides like a totally different bike. The most dramatic thing about swapping the exhaust, the "lightness" of the bike.
                      The mufflers themselves are a lot heavier too, and there are two of them.

Comment

Double-wall pipes

I thought that the point of double-wall pipes was [is] to PREVENT "blueing." ???

-- Bill

Comment

so i set the mixture screws out at 2 turns and i turned the idle up a bit. it idles better but still has a hesitation when i rev it and still hangs up after i close the throttle. i cant hear any changes in engine speed if i adjust the mixture. suggestions appreciated.

Comment

Hanging idle is a sign of lean-osity.

80-83 850s with stock pipes and airbox need 2.5 to 3 turns out on the idle mixture screws. This will also smooth out the off-idle transition.

Honestly, I've never been able to hear much difference in idle while twiddling the mixture screws, and I have excellent hearing and pitch. You have to adjust and then go test ride to see if it's different. I just set them all the same.

Adjust in half-turn increments, test ride, then fine-tune in quarter-turns from there if you want.

Your bike still has the stock exhaust/airbox, correct?

It could also be an intake leak -- it's VERY easy to miss getting the inner two airbox/carb boots in place when you monkey with the airbox. I've done this several times, and it's nearly impossible to see what's going on in there.
                            Last edited by bwringer; 07-13-2008, 06:52 PM.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

yes stock airbox/exhaust. i think the boots are on there well but ill double check tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X