just double checking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catbed View Post
    yes stock airbox/exhaust. i think the boots are on there well but ill double check tomorrow.
    Then you're probably about a half to a full turn away from happiness. Half turns of the idle mixture screws make a big difference.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Hanging idle is a sign of lean-osity.

80-83 850s with stock pipes and airbox need 2.5 to 3 turns out on the idle mixture screws. This will also smooth out the off-idle transition.

Honestly, I've never been able to hear much difference in idle while twiddling the mixture screws, and I have excellent hearing and pitch. You have to adjust and then go test ride to see if it's different. I just set them all the same.

Adjust in half-turn increments, test ride, then fine-tune in quarter-turns from there if you want.

Your bike still has the stock exhaust/airbox, correct?

It could also be an intake leak -- it's VERY easy to miss getting the inner two airbox/carb boots in place when you monkey with the airbox. I've done this several times, and it's nearly impossible to see what's going on in there.
      Same here... I'm a musician, and "Highest idle" method... I can't get it to work. Turning the screw on one carb doesn't effect the idle enough for me to tell.

Comment

Not to hijack this thread but...

I have a situation where my idle will stay around 1000-1200 when first started, then as i ride, the idle will go up to around 2500 sometime, most times but not always. The intake boot o rings are new and seated, the carb boots are in good shape and tested with the spray bottle method The carbs themselves are clean, and all the orings are new, with the float levels set correctly. All 4 screws ( the ones facing up, need to take tank off or have really small hands to reach 2&3) are about 2 and 1/2 out.Good plugs, coil mod done. What else are we missing?

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
          I have a situation where my idle will stay around 1000-1200 when first started, then as i ride, the idle will go up to around 2500 sometime, most times but not always. The intake boot o rings are new and seated, the carb boots are in good shape and tested with the spray bottle method The carbs themselves are clean, and all the orings are new, with the float levels set correctly. All 4 screws ( the ones facing up, need to take tank off or have really small hands to reach 2&3) are about 2 and 1/2 out.Good plugs, coil mod done. What else are we missing?
          My understanding is that's a symptom of lean pilot circuit because as the bike gets hot it runs better on that lean mixture so the idle rises.

Comment

Working...
          X