Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

air box missing

Hi Everyone,
    I've read alot of threads (thru the search option) on this topic and didn't find this situation. This is what I have.....
    1981 GS750L, WITH the air box that connects to the carbs, but WITHOUT the air filter box.
    After reading all the threads about rejetting for 4 individual pods (doesn't sound like fun) and not wanting to drop $100 on a new air filter box. This is what I thought of.

What if I found a filter that would mount to the back of the air box that connects to carbs ? The filter would under the seat near the place it would've been as stock, only exposed.
    Do you think re-jetting would still be required ?

Larry D
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I've read alot of threads (thru the search option) on this topic and didn't find this situation. This is what I have.....
    1981 GS750L, WITH the air box that connects to the carbs, but WITHOUT the air filter box.
    After reading all the threads about rejetting for 4 individual pods (doesn't sound like fun) and not wanting to drop $100 on a new air filter box. This is what I thought of.

What if I found a filter that would mount to the back of the air box that connects to carbs ? The filter would under the seat near the place it would've been as stock, only exposed.
    Do you think re-jetting would still be required ?

Larry D

Rather get a complete unit from a junk yard, unless you have patience, perserverance and knowledgable friends in abundance! Try to keep stock otherwise you start losing the design reasons for the stock setup and have to start experimenting.

Comment

so, you're missing #14 and want to atach a filter directly to the airbox
      i think as long as you have the stock exhaust you should be fine as far as jetting goes, may only need to add a little mixture at idle (pilot mixture screws)
      but, generally, i'm with matchless on this one - go stock if you want to be shure and are not inclined to experiment
      GS850GT

Comment

That's right I'm missing #14. Thanks, I might try it, when I get to that point. In the mean time I'll try and locate an inexpensive air filer box.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I'm returning to this because it's mentioned in this thread about the stock exhaust. My 81 GS750L has a 4-1 exhaust (trashed) Is 4-2 stock? I just looked on one of the online catalogs and it show 4-2.
          Thanks
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hey Larry,
            I think I have a spare filter box in my garage. If I do..you interested in it?? Send me a PM and we can work out the details.

Al

Comment

Stock exhaust is 4-2.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Thanks all. Al I sent you a pm.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...