Forks spring which way around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks spring which way around?

I have stripped my front forks and cleaned up everything.
    The manual says the fork springs should be installed with the close wound end to the top.
    My fork springs have a slightly narrower end on one side compared to the other side. The narrower end is the widest wound.
    I am sure that the springs came out with the narrower end at the top, which means the wider wound part at the top.
    Can anyone shed some more light on this please?

PS The windings seem to be close wound for about half way and the other half wider wound and the spring lengths are well within spec.

Doesn't make any difference - I'm sure they just say this in the manual to make themselves look as if they know about things that us mere mortals don't.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

i would have thought your 1000g would be exactly like my 850, same year, same everything except the engine
      my springs are the same diameter throughout, both ends are the same
      they were mounted (as the service manual suggests) with close wounds up top
      GS850GT

Comment

Sounds like you may have progressives in there. Doesn't matter as long as they both are installed in the same direction.

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
          Sounds like you may have progressives in there. Doesn't matter as long as they both are installed in the same direction.
          Here is a picture of them. Could they be progressive?

psuyguy,
          This also worried me. I expected the springs to be standard OEM, but as you can see they are a bit different and the one end has the last two windings about 1.5mm narrower than the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
            Could they be progressive?
            My stock springs were wound tighter about 1/4 of the springs length .
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

See here:

I'm not an expert on progressives but I think that's what you have.

Comment

Bonanzadave, mine are wound tighter exactly 1/2 of the way.

Chiphead those on your link also seem to be wound tighter for a 1/4 of the way.

This must then be some aftermarket change that the PO did. I hope someone will be able to identify them.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Doesn't make any difference - I'm sure they just say this in the manual to make themselves look as if they know about things that us mere mortals don't.
                  In practice it doesn't matter as long as you keep them both the same, but there is a reason. The close wound end is heavier and putting it at the top reduces the amount of unsprung weight. Given that the wheels and brakes are so heavy on these bikes the amount saved is miniscule and imperceptible while riding. But it's good practice to stay with the close wound to the top, anyway...

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
                    In practice it doesn't matter as long as you keep them both the same, but there is a reason. The close wound end is heavier and putting it at the top reduces the amount of unsprung weight. Given that the wheels and brakes are so heavy on these bikes the amount saved is miniscule and imperceptible while riding. But it's good practice to stay with the close wound to the top, anyway...

Mark
                    Mark, thanks. I was wondering why it would be specified in the Suzuki manual. It also had me wondering why I did not notice something amiss when riding. With these springs it seems as if the wider end should be at the bottom as it seats better on the damper socket. The narrower part will slide around there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post

Mark
                      Good thought Mark. However, got me thinking and I can't get my head round it, but isn't the whole spring unsprung weight? Or as it's the spring itself, does it sit in between in some sort of no-mans land?
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        Good thought Mark. However, got me thinking and I can't get my head round it, but isn't the whole spring unsprung weight? Or as it's the spring itself, does it sit in between in some sort of no-mans land?
                        It is sort of in between. The top end is completely sprung weight and the lower end is completely unsprung. If you look in vehicle dynamics books there are formulas for calculating the springs contribution to both and it's effect on wheel frequency (which is where the unsprung mass becomes important).

Mark

Comment

Working...
                        X