no power - 79 GS750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no power - 79 GS750

Everything working fine. Let it sit for a week, got a bit of rain on it, but it was under a tarp.

Put the key in last night to ride, and ...nothing.

No lights, starter won't start, horn won't horn, kick just lugs out, nada, zip nacho...

Tried to find the fuses...but the prior owner rebuilt some things, added a new set carb (mikuni atleast), and I can't find where he hid the fuses.

Took the head lamp off, checked the connections, everything /seems/ ok. Battery works fine, even started my other bike with it.

I thought it'd be the key, but alligator clipped some of the contacts on the bottom together and still got nothing.

Thought it was the kill switch, but even with the switch /off/, wouldn't the dash still come on?

Also, I have an 8 pin male connector hanging down over the engine, with no female mate /anywhere/ on the bike. I'm guessing it was for a fairing.

Any ideas on what to look for, where to start? I have a multimeter, so I'm gonna just start looking for shorts, but a "start here first" would be nice.

Your fuse block should be near your starter solenoid and R/R. You should have a red wire coming off your battery that runs to the fuse block.

Comment

Eh...did you check to see that the battery had charge? Didnt mention that if you did... thought i would ask.

Comment

it would pay to go through ALL the connections
        if it happens to be just an empty battery it would be good to find out what caused that - and clean connections all round are a necessity for any electrical trouleshooting
        GS850GT

Comment

Start check the battery& cables, check for 12 V orange wire on the fuse block Should have 12 v when the key is turned on. If not get out the wiring diagram & trace the voltage

Comment

Battery had charge (not enough to start the bike, but enough to turn on some lights.) Followed the voltage from the battery, thinking it was the Key/Ignition switch. Turns out it was an inline fuse that was rusty. Once I cleaned it, and replaced the fuse, it worked great. Ran the idle on high while I put my headlamp back together to get some extra charge. Bought a new battery anyway.

That makes 2 bikes running in one weeked. I must have slept at a holiday inn without realizing it.

Comment

Always nice when it turns out to be something simple. But you learn from it.

Comment

Working...
              X