Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Timer!!

Hey guys!!

I'm brand new on this site and have to say I love what I've seen so far!!! I have a tech question (which is how I discovered this sight). I've looked over previous post and found a similar string, so I'm not asking the same question as I think I've diagnosed the majority of the problems.

Similar String:

when the bike gets warm there seems to be quite a lot of smoke / steam coming from the air box, could this just be condensation???
    thanx dave

This is crankcase compression. I'd say your rings are worn and the combustion compression is blowing past them into the crankcase, and the smoke is coming up through the crankcase vent on top of the cam cover, and through the airbox.

Take the vent tube off the airbox and hold your thumb over it. You will probably feel the pulses of the motor - and your thumb will get a little greasy from the burning oil.

If it is "only" steam, it is another indication that your rings are worn. The steam is the result of burning hydrocarbon fuels and the motor is still cool enough for it to condense rather than escape unnoticed.

You probably also have hardened valve guide seals by this time. This will show up with extra smoke from the exhaust on start-up after sitting for a while, especially on the side-stand.

Welcome to the "it's time to change the rings and seals" club. Membership is free, but it's kind of costly to leave the club.

If you change the rings, remember to have the bores honed.

Kim

End String

I'm rebuilding a 1981 750 GS that someone before me has customized. The've ripped out the airbox and put individual filters on the carbs (sorry my tech language isn't so hot), also added a drag pipe, extended swingarm, etc...

I've been working for 3 weeks and at Last she runs!!!!

My question is : There is a breather hose that is supposed to run from the top of the engine to the airbox. The previous owner slapped a filter on the end and attached it to the frame. My problem is that smoke (or condensation) is coming out of this filter when the bike is running. It stops immediately when the bike dies. I know that smoking is only good for a bike after sex, but is it dangerous to the bike or is it just a minor nuisance. I'm an amateur gearhead at best and too poor to take my only source of transportation to a mechanic if its going to take days and lots of $$.

Advice anyone???

Thanks in advance,
    CC

it depends on how mutch smoke is coming out, a small amount is normal blowby, remove the small filter and with it running you should feel a light puffing from the hose, if it is blowing pretty good then a overhaul is in your future.

Comment

My 750 smoked a bit out of the breather pipe too,especially when cold but it ran well. Keep an eye on the oil level and calculate your oil consumption from it , that will give an indication how worn the rings and other parts are.

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks for the help. Much appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
        X