Adding oil to my fork?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding oil to my fork?

Ok, so I have a leaky fork, but its not like oil is squirting out, it just seems like the oil seal isn't holding back the oil very well so its coating the fork and gradually losing oil.

The parts are on the way to fix it, a Haynes manual for my bike is on the way, until the parts get here how do I add some oil to the fork to get the suspension working right until the parts get here? Its beautiful outside and I want to ride.

I have some Rotella 15w-40 I assume that would be fine to put in the fork?

Just go ride. Unless you lost a lot of oil, in which case, adding some of that Rotella won't hurt anything.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Just go ride. Unless you lost a lot of oil, in which case, adding some of that Rotella won't hurt anything.
      Well, I have been riding, and I'm pretty sure the fork is pretty low. They're pretty much fully compressed when I'm on the bike, and it doesn't feel right cornering like the bike is going to fall over.

Comment

Oil, by itself, is not going to keep your bike off the suspension stops.
        SPRINGS are what hold the bike up.
        The oil only damps the movement of the springs.

When you finally get them apart to change the seals, do yourself a favor and use the proper fluid, which is FORK oil, not engine oil.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've bought high mileage bikes that have never had the fork oil looked at since new - some with virtually none in at all. You can ride 'em fine (as long as you're not expecting to get your knee down on an 80mph bend).
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hmm. Well the front suspension is super, super spongy, maybe I should replace the springs too then?

Comment

Originally posted by Draketh View Post
              Hmm. Well the front suspension is super, super spongy, maybe I should replace the springs too then?
              Yup. Welcome to the club -- every GS needs fork springs.

This place seems to have the best prices on Progressive fork springs and shocks, and a few members here have tried them and been happy with their service:
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X