83 550E ignition/starting probs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 550E ignition/starting probs

Ok, I posted awhile ago about this (bike will start when cold-not start after being ridden for just a few minutes.) Got a brand new starter (thought the old one was having problems when it got hot). Put it in, started right up. Rode the bike for approximately 2 miles. (Ran great). Got home and shut it off. Waited one minute and tried to start it---NOTHING! A very light click from the solenoid, that was all. The R/R was extremely HOT to the touch. I waited about one hour and tried to start the bike again, this time still no luck. It seemed now like the battery was low. Could my r/r be bad? could it discharge the battery so quickly if bad? Could it be something else? The solenoid does not get hot, so I am taking that out of the equation. Stator? All my wires are good, cleaned attached nice and tight. I am gettin frustrated (very nice weather here)....Please help....THANKS>

Just a thought, but you do always run the risk of installing a faulty part when putting in used parts. However, this one sounds a bit beyond my level.

Comment

Try jumping your battery from a car, with the car engine not running. See how the starter acts then. I'm sure you know the 'jumper the solenoid' trick by now, to test that as well, with a known good power source (that being the car).

Have you examined your charging system per the Stator Papers?
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

yup, charging systme was checked out once already, but i guess it's time to do it again. i really don't think it's the starter, and am leaning towards the stator-r/r arghhhhhhh

Comment

My starter solenoid does that from time to time. I hit the button and get a click... I jump the solenoid and it starts just fine... a few miles down the road and I don't have to do it again for months... never bothered to trace the problem down though...

Comment

It almost seems as if the battery is discharging but it can't be. Could the r/r be bad and when hot draw so much juice it won't let the solenoid do its' job?

Comment

Follow the yellow with green stripe wire to under the tank, it has a butt connector which tends to get loose although it may look tight. Make sure it is tightly connected, this may cause intermittent starting problems when the solenoid, switches and starter is in good condition. Happened on mine and i went through heck eliminating all the other components step by step until i found this wire loose and thought it was the starter or the battery.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks. I will be checking every connection I can find. BUT......The bike will start when cold. It's nly after I ride it for a bit then shut it off and try to start it agin that I have this issue.

Comment

Do you hear the soleonoid click? after it's warm and does not start?
                  if not either the battery is dead or a loose connection.

Do a load test on the battery right after this happens. This will tell you if the battery has enough juice to crank the starter.

If insufficient cranking amps are present, the battery is not being charged or there is a loose coonection preventing the starter from starting. I went through this with mine. Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks. gonna put a meter on it this weekend and check that exact thing.

Comment

If mine has been sitting (opposite of your problem) I have to hold the starter button for 10 seconds or so for enough current to build up to trip the solenoid.

Comment

Bike started right up today, no issues.....BUT........within a minute the r/r started to warm up. Is this normal? I know they get warm, but so fast? would a stator issue cause the r/r to get hot or just a bad r/r? Would a hot/bad r/r cause the bike not to start when it's hot?

Comment

Working...
                        X