petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock

i am still newb to this stuff but when i bought my bike the petcock was stuck on prime and has been that way ever since the guy i bought it from said that it wasnt go to hurt anything but now i am having second thoughts about this cause this morning i come out to go for a ride and there is gas on the garage floor i think with the petcock like this it is puttin too much gas into the carb..is there anyway to get that petcock to move or rebuild it or do i just need a new one and what kind should i get?

Order a new OEM petcock from your friendly local Suzuki dealer or from one of the many sources for Suzuki parts on teh intarwebs:

Click the "OEM Parts" links and go from there.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

check your engine oil too leaving the petcock on prime can send the gas down into the engine oil,running it like this will wreck the engine.Better get a new petcock,did you get Mr.Basscliff's mega-welcome(all newcomers get it)?lotsa links for parts and how-to's,good luck!

Comment

yea a leaky petcock will almost always yeild gas in the oil....

i would check the oil cause its probably got gas in it already.

an oem petcock is expensive. if you dont mind a manual one they can be had for about $40 and will last forever.....

contact Z1 for such a petcock. its probably the easiest way

Comment

additional question on petcock setting

Thought I would ask this question since it seems to fit.

When I purchased my used bike the seller said it had an automatic petcock (something about vacuum opening the gas flow). I have read that this is true. The petcock had no lever but appeared to have a slot to adjust if from "prime" setting to "on". It had been on "prime" but a manual I read said it should be on the "on" setting.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this? I have not had any gas on the floor or anything but want the bike to run its best.
          1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS750 View Post
            yea a leaky petcock will almost always yeild gas in the oil....

i would check the oil cause its probably got gas in it already.

I don't understand how a leaky petcock puts gas into the oil. There's no connection between the two. How does it happen?

Comment

I'm not an expert but my guess would be that the petcock set to prime allows gas to flow from the tank to the carbs even when the bike is off. Since the bike is off, it will fill the carbs and eventually flow up into the engine. Gas in the pistons with no combustion, common sense says, it will still be in the liquid form and leak down into the oil.

Comment

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                X