• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i dont know what else to do.

ok so here is all what ive checked.

-changed both coils and spark plug wires
    -has new plugs
    -cleaned all the carbs. NO stuck floats.
    -petcock is working properly

so the problem is that i am getting gas into the airbox. HOW? i dont know. i finally got the bike working, would idle and everything. was working perfect. took it for a drive down the road and then about 5 miles on it it startin bogging out. but it came out of it. but then it happened again farther down the road. so i pulled the seat off. and then GAS in the airbox again. i took it home. cleaned the airbox and then tried to watch and see if i could see where the gas was coming from. almost looked like it was coming from the tube that connects to the top of the air box..... im not. im just trying to see what all things i can do before i take it somewhere to get looked at ($$$$) any help is super duper appreciated
    Last edited by Guest; 07-14-2008, 07:52 PM.

Originally posted by mk2gti View Post
    ok so here is all what ive checked.

-changed both coils and spark plug wires
    -has new plugs
    -cleaned all the carbs. NO stuck floats.
    -petcock is working properly

so the problem is that i am getting gas into the airbox. HOW? i dont know. i finally got the bike working, would idle and everything. was working perfect. took it for a drive down the road and then about 5 miles on it it startin bogging out. but it came out of it. but then it happened again farther down the road. so i pulled the seat off. and then GAS in the airbox again. i took it home. cleaned the airbox and then tried to watch and see if i could see where the gas was coming from. almost looked like it was coming from the tube that connects to the top of the air box..... im not. im just trying to see what all things i can do before i take it somewhere to get looked at ($$$$) any help is super duper appreciated
    The one that comes from the engine to the top of the airbox? That's the vent for the engine, try keeping it connected to the engine, but disconnect from the airbox and run the bike, see what you're getting out of it. It does vent some stuff, but shouldn't be venting a ton of liquid.

Comment

itll vent some oil vapor but thats about it....

if its venting way too much you need to replace the buffer things inside the cam cover....

Comment

what does this hose do?? can gas go through this tube?
        its night time where im at, i will give that a try tomorrow.

Comment

its night time where im at, i will give that a try tomorrow.
          It vents vapor from the engine so pressure doesn't build up. They run it to the airbox because of modern emissions standards so it gets sent back into the engine and burned (theoretically). If you run pod air filters you run it to a catch can or a little filter. It's fine for it to be connected to nothing at the airbox end for testing purposes. It should vent gas and a LITTLE liquid, but if tons of stuff coming out, then as was said, something going in there.

Comment

That hose isn't your problem.

You are leaking fuel from one of three sources:

1 The petcock vacuum supply line
            2 One or more inlet valves
            3 one or more of the inlet valve O-rings.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

My guess would be the petcock. I had this exact problem and that turned out being it. Now I have a nice new shiny one that works like a champ.

Comment

i was talking to an older fella than i. he said to try running some gas line antifreeze through it incase a float in stickin when driving.? im going to give it a try tomorrow. if it does not work the carbs will be pulled back out.

Comment

I don't see how gas line antifreeze will help you, but if it does, more power to you. You more than likely need a carb cleaning and new o ring help if it's a sticking float. You can try to tap the float bowls with a screw driver handle and see if you can get it to unstick, but a cleaning or new petcock is in your future. When you cleaned the carbs you followed the series right...and you dipped them and sprayed out every passage and jet right.... not just pulled the bowl...

--Chad
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2008, 10:55 PM.

Comment

If gas was coming out the crankcase breaather tube, the engine would have to be full of gas, including the oil pan. The engine would destroy itself for lack of lubrication, so that can't be the problem. Like stated earlier it is a bad petcock or could be a sticking float in one of the carbs along with a plugged drain tube from that carb. Let us know what you find.

Greg

Comment

well in my mind it should be the petcock. the petcock does not let gas out until u suck on the vac tube. and this problem only happens when the bike starts bogging out while it is running. and the gas that leaks out the airbox is only a certain amont. about 1/2 cup. then stops. if the petcock was back wouldnt the fuel run out until it was empty? we will see what happens tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by cz_699 View Post
                        I don't see how gas line antifreeze will help you, but if it does, more power to you.

--Chad
                        well, it's a pretty potent alcohol.. which makes a nice solvent, if it is just a little gummyness it could very well help clean it out. wether this is a sticky float or something else, on the other hand..

Comment

I kept getting sticking needles and tried to cheap out and clean them a couple times with a spray gun cleaning kit until my hair started coming out in clumps due to frustration. Next I went and bought 4 new needles and o-rings and a couple thousand miles later, no problems. Highly advise the new needles. The fuel is probably coming out of the needle jets when the needle sticks and flows into the airbox and the cylinder potentially frying the rings by washing all of the oil away. Hope that info helps,
                          J

Comment

seems to good to be true but i ran a bottle of gas line antifreeze thorugh it, ran perfect. no stalling or bogging out. put 30 Kilometers on it and not a problem so far. i already knocked on some wood. hopefully she is good to go

Comment

Working...
                            X