Need help on ignition coil mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help on ignition coil mod

So I performed the ignition coil mod per the instructions BassCliff has been kind enough to post on his website. I got the mod done, however, the bike seems lacking in power. I had to crank the idle adjust up almost to the stop to get it to idle at 1000rpm. When I went to accelerate it was so lacking in power that it died. One more issue in the system that I know is causing problems, but I'm not sure how much is the exhaust. I JB Welded the exhaust crack, but re-welded the muffler a bit too low to reach the mounting point by the rear foot peg. When I tried finessing it into place, the weld cracked. So, before I go digging back into the electrical update I did to the coil circuit, does anyone know how much that crack would affect the engine? Would it be enough to lose enough power that the engine would bog down and die when attempting to accelerate in 1st gear?

Oh, and for the record, I do plan on replacing the exhaust as soon as I can afford it. I just can't right now, thus the attempted cheap fix.

that exhaust crack shouldnt rob you of any noticeable power...

if you did the relay mod and its getting less voltage than before than you will have weak spark and crappy power.

i would check voltage around your relay and make sure it has an excellent ground. i used the battery negative terminal on mine for a ground.

Comment

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Comment

So................................................ ....................apparently it's not a good idea to switch the spark plug wires from cylinders 3 & 4. I guess it has a habit of causing loss of power and backfiring. Chalk one up to stupidity.

I did switch the ground to the battery. It just made sense to do it that way.

BTW, the coil mod it totally worth doing, and really wasn't that difficult. I think it was harder finding 12-guage connectors than it was to actually do the mod. Acceleration is much smoother and I can definitely feel more power.

Comment

hahaha thats a good one.

well better that it was something small like that than some kind of horrible electrical gremlin that will plague you forever

Comment

Originally posted by Blueandorangefish View Post
            So................................................ ....................apparently it's not a good idea to switch the spark plug wires from cylinders 3 & 4. I guess it has a habit of causing loss of power and backfiring. Chalk one up to stupidity.

I did switch the ground to the battery. It just made sense to do it that way.

BTW, the coil mod it totally worth doing, and really wasn't that difficult. I think it was harder finding 12-guage connectors than it was to actually do the mod. Acceleration is much smoother and I can definitely feel more power.
            don't feel bad, when i did mine, i made up two new lines for the power, and you betcha, two new lines for the grounds!

Comment

Working...
            X